Link to Antarctica - Small Ship Expedition

Apr 6th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Link to Antarctica - Small Ship Expedition

If anyone is interested in reading the report (very lengthy) of our January 2007 Falklands-South Georgia-Antarctica voyage, the link is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ses=29&start=0
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM

To anyone here in the Africa forum who has ever considered a trip to the Antarctic and really wants an indepth understanding of what it's like (on one of the expedition-style smaller ships rather than the larger cruise-style ships) can I strongly recommend following the link and reading Eenusa's thread.

It's so wonderfully informative and detailed and has really brought all my own Antarctica memories flooding back and made me long to return!
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I'll save this. Antarctica is on the long list.
Apr 9th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the endorsement, Kavey.

atravelynn - you might want to consider moving Antarctica to the short list ... you know, global warming and all that
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Wow, that is, by far, the most informative trip report I have read, on any branch on this forum. I am seriously considering a trip and have received the brochures from Quark, but I just need to figure out when to go. Initially, I had thought about this Christmas, but the dates of their trips didn't work (I am going to NZ and South Pacific instead), and I'll monitor their website for Christmas 2008 dates.
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, thit_cho. I had such a difficult time finding really detailed reviews for Antarctica when I was doing my research that I thought it might be worth making the effort.

Besides, doing the summary means I got a head start on my "real" journal - just think how long that one's going to be .

Seriously, though, keep the holiday travelers in mind when booking your airfare and hotel(s) if you are going to go with a date on/around Christmas.
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Eenusa, Thanks for the hint. ThitCho, let us know what you decide.
Apr 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Thanks for your amazingly detailed report. Antarctica has always been on my "must see" list and it just moved closer to the top. And wouldn't you know it, when I got home last night there was a brochure for Antarctica from Quark/GeoEx in my mailbox! Is someone trying to tell me something?
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Bookmarking this for later, thanks!
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

By now, you’ve probably given up hope that I would ever post my photos from the Antarctica voyage. Fear not! It took me a while, but I am finally done.

http://eenusa.smugmug.com/

The albums are available under the “2007 Travels” category.

Oh no! Did she say “albums?”

Well, yes. I did. I organized the pictures that I decided to keep as daily photo journals. So, if you want to relive the trip, you’ll want to browse albums 01-15. There are a lot of pictures in these albums, including the good and the not-so-good ones since I was trying to tell the story of the trip.

If you just want to get a sense of the voyage, you’ll want to browse Favorites – Quest for Antarctica. This album has a small selection of “my” favorite photos from throughout the trip.

The "Endurance & Shackleton" album consists of a PowerPoint presentation converted to jpegs to provide a synopsis of the saga.

How to View the Photos if you are not familiar with SmugMug: once you open the album, you can click a thumbnail to see a larger picture. If you put the cursor on the larger picture, you can change the size of the picture and view the pictures in the “lightbox” mode.

I don’t recommend using the “slideshow” button at the top of the page since it automatically loads the pictures sized to your monitor (probably OK if you have a really fast internet connection, but keep in mind that the photos have been resized for the web).

If you do want to look at the photos as a slideshow, you can change the default view from the “style” pulldown list at the top of the screen (default will read SmugMug – and you change back to this or another view when you’re finished with the slideshow). You can experiment with the other styles as well to find the one that really suits your personal viewing style.

Feel free to leave comments on the website if you’d like – you do not need to be a member to do so.

Happy travels!
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM

bookmarking

Antarctica has been on my short list of "big" trips. Just moved up a notch or two.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Wow eenusa!!! I just quickly flipped through the "Favorites" album and these photos are just amazing! can't wait to look at the rest this weekend when I have more time - thanks very much for posting.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

maxwell - thanks for the compliment; enjoy the rest of them at your leisure.

going_2_africa - I can't say enough about the trip ... it was just fantastic. Definitely worth every penny we spent. I would encourage anyone who wants to visit Antarctica to go on as small a ship as they feel comfortable on, and definitely on a ship that carries 100 or less pax.
Jul 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Have been to Antarctica, South Georgia and Falklands on similar small boat (100 passengers) Clipper Adventurer. Excellent trip, second to Africa.

But if you decide to go, recommend including South Georgia & Falkland Islands as well as Antarctica. It is a long trip down and worth time and money seeing the Rockhopper in Falklands and King Penguins and fur seals in South Georgia.

-Granny Joan
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Wow! I just went through your favourites and not only does it bring our trip back so vividly it makes me want to go straight back again!

Stunning, stunning, stunning photos.
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Kavey used my word but I'll say it anyway - absolutely stunning photos. I looked thru' the "Favorites" and can't wait to see the rest. Also look forward to reading your report.
Antarctica has long been on my list, too - this really makes me want to go.
Jul 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay - so third time is not the charm - tried to respond three times yesterday with no luck. Trying one more time today to post a response. I hope this does not quadruple. (If so, sorry.)

Granny/Joan: I agree about the Falklands and especially SGI - having gone on an itinerary that included both of them, our voyage would have been incomplete without those experiences. I can still visualize the sea of king penguins at Salisbury Plain on SGI and the awe it inspired in us.

Kavey/panecott: thanks so much for your comments; as I am a total amateur when it comes to photography, it's great to hear that you enjoyed the photos.

Kavey - I know what you mean about wanting to go back; we were ready to get on another ship as soon as we disembarked Molchanov.
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Our trip happened to be the first of the Antarctic season - the Ioffe had just come down from the Arctic. I don't know if that contributed but our little gang felt a real ownership of the ship (and of the crew) and we said as we got off how we just hated the idea of a fresh group of travellers boarding just a few hours later taking over our rooms and our bar and our crew friends and our ship!!!!

If I win the lottery the first thing I'd do would be to book a similar trip again.