Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Virginia, USA Wildlife Photos (NOT AFRICA, just wanted to share)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow nature lovers! Photos are my favorite part of this board and since another safari is a couple years away for us, I have to make due with my yard. It keeps my safari-photo skills in practice, right?

These are all photos from near my home in Virginia. No exciting large mammals (darn deer won't hold still--too blurry to be worth posting and the bears are too shy--haven't even captured them on digital "film" yet) --the album is largely insects (warning to phobics: includes spiders and a snake photo). Take a look if you are interested:

http://tinyurl.com/h8qf5

(It's Kodak easyshare)
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM

They are beautiful, they look like professional photos. Thanks for sharing.

Pat
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks for posting - loved the daisy and lady bug.

I know what you mean about the deer. We don't get any in our backyard, but I took a picture of one on Skyline Drive a few months ago. I got lucky (literally saw it out of the corner of my eye and clicked the shutter without thinking) and it looks like it was flying through the air. We'll see what this weekend's trip back there has in store for us.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Thank you for sharing - very nice! That praying mantis was great - makes me wonder how many critters like that I have just walked by and not seen! Looked like you were feeding your snake parsley or cilantro?

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Great images!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM

GREAT photos! Thanks for posting them.

Imelda
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

Cyn: I had to go back and look at the pic to see what you meant--I laughed out loud--it does look like whatever that plant is is parsley or cilantro! The snake's wild, though, so I wasn't feeding it (I want him to build up an appetite and eat the all field mice so they stay out of my house!)--he was just slithering around the garden on the gravel path.

eenusa: Sounds like you managed a good deer photo! I oughta start a &quot;wildlife photos&quot; website forum for wildlife enthusiastists because I would love to see your picture! Enjoy Skyline Drive--the leaves haven't started changing yet but that's just a great trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM

schlegal1: I know what you mean about a wildlife photo site. I have so many taken from various trips that are just sitting on my computer with no specific home. (We took a ton of photos at Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge a few weeks ago that I would love to share with others at some point.)

Anyway, here's a link to my yahoo photos album for our spring trips. The deer picture I mentioned is #87. There is another deer (#85) that actually posed for us on that trip.

http://tinyurl.com/ermdr

P.S. You're welcome to browse through the entire album; I have other wildlife interspersed throughout.

P.P.S. Have you been to the National Zoo yet to see the tiger cubs? I was there last week - got some cute pictures. Visited Tai Shan too - got some nice pictures of him with his mom. When I get a chance, I am going to add those to yahoo as well. I'll share the link when I do so.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

eenusa: thanks for sharing! I am so jealous that you were in DC for Cherry blossoms (we were there March 17th of this year--too early for blossoms) and your photos are just lovely. You've got some nice shots of Va wildlife--I really like that deer leaping--it has such a feeling of action captured in the photo! And the tortoise makes me laugh--those guys always look so mad! You must be a flora/fauna enthusiast--who else would find the beauty in the lowly dandelion (I have a similar photo in one of my albums! LOL).

Ok, Fodors, so where's the &quot;wildlife round the world&quot; forum?!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM

schlegal1, your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question, I've created a Kodak Easyshare album of my recent safari, but am unsure as to how to post the address so I can share with the general public. I tried cut&amp;pasting the URL, but when I tried to view the slideshow from another computer, the page wouldn't open and I received an error notice. I'm assuming it was because that computer wasn't logged on. I don't want to post a nonoperational page, so would sure appreciate knowing how you determined the URL we could use to access your pictures.

Hope my question makes some sort of sense...

Anyway, again, thanks for the gorgeous pictures. They are well composed and of professional quality; and proof that a safari can happen in our own back yards!!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Nevermind,

I think you need to share (send) the album with yourself. Then when you get the link in the e-mail to yourself, that is the link you can share here.

Jenn
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks, Jenn. I'm going to try it right now. I've been working on a trip report and wanted to include a few of the pictures I had taken.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Schlegal1 - glad you enjoyed the photos. Had a terrific time on Skyline Drive this past weekend - even if the weather was less than cooperative on Saturday - thick fog and mist/rain until late afternoon. Still, we made lemonade from the lemons we were handed.

Aside from deer, saw some turkey vultures (no photos unfortunately). We stayed at Skyland Resort and the deer came to the picnic area in front of our building morning and night to graze on the grass. Very habituated; we were within a few feet of them and got some good pictures. I need to look through the ones I took and post some on Yahoo. Will let you know when I do so.