Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Light And Sound Show (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/light-and-sound-show-401579/)

wyland7 Jul 25th, 2008 01:25 PM

Light And Sound Show

Percy, You said that you saw the Light and Sound Show at the Pyraminds. How was it? My husband and I were thinking of doing that but it is very expensive. We can only do that if we book an overnight away from our cruise ship and meet with the ship the next day at another port, after a brunch on the nile river. This all sounds great but are concerned if its worth the $$$. Thank You for any information that you can give us.

Casual_Cairo Jul 26th, 2008 12:39 AM

If you only have ONE night in Cairo, the Sound and Light show is NOT the event I would go for. It is OK, and worthwhile IF you have multiple nights to do all the other activities that are fun to do around Cairo. I always tell people to go into the S&L show with LOW expectations, and then you will come out thinking "that was actually pretty good". If you don't and you think you are coming to a laser light show with a rock music concert, you will be sorely disappointed. I've had people be livid when they left the show that it was the way it was, so understand what you are getting in for and don't come with expectations that won't be met. "No expectations, No disappointments"

Other activities that can be set up for an evening that might be more fun or different are Nile Dinner Cruises. This is generally a VERY touristy thing to do, but can be fun. It will be a buffet meal (unless you go on the Marriott boat Maxim) with a belly dancer and other cultural entertainment.

Or my personal preference would be to take a private falouka out for the evening with a bottle of wine or a cooler of beer and laze around until the sun sets and get some marvelous photos of life along the Nile river.

Or finally go to the Khan el Khalili for an evening at the 14th century market place. Include dinner at the Naguib Mafouz restaurant and if you are lucky you might be around on one of the nights of the free Whirling Dervish show nearby.

wyland7 Jul 26th, 2008 04:31 AM

Hi Causual Cario, Thank You so much for this information. I do have high expectations for the show. And thought that it would be a laser and rock music show. For this shore excursion we would see the pyraminds during the day and then come back for the show. We were also wondering what the normal price is for the show and how long does it last? Plus will there be seating and does it get very crowded?

cary999 Jul 26th, 2008 04:37 AM

FWIW, we did not see the show at the Pyramids but did see it at Luxor. It was disappointing. Recorded voices telling some story, with a few spot lights bouncing around. And in the background lights from a nearby shopping center. The walk among the ruins to and from the show was better than the show.

regards - tom

Casual_Cairo Jul 27th, 2008 01:32 AM

I like the show at the Giza pyramids better than the one in Luxor, but that doesn't mean it is all it could be. It's fine for what it is, but like wyland7, if you were to come thinking it was going to be more than it is, you'd be angry at the waste of time you just put into it.

If you do decide to go, I think the tickets are 75LE each. It never (or rarely) sells out. The hardest part of the excursion is your transportation as the entrance in not walking distance really to any hotel except some real dives near the stable areas, so you always need a driver to take you, and it is VERY prudent to keep that driver there and waiting for you as the taxis that are there to pick up the people that weren't smart enough to keep their car know they have you exactly where they want you and will take a large amount of money to take you anywhere after the show. For that money, hire a decent car and have it wait for you. Also the taxi drivers are going to be trying to take you shopping or to a restaurant or club where they can collect a commission for taking you in. That is all fair, IF you want to go to one of these shops, clubs or whatever, but if you don't it's an annoyance to be avoided.

sandi Jul 27th, 2008 04:54 AM

As you're doing a cruise, you can see the L&S at Luxor or Philae Island. Most who have reported here, liked the Philae L&S. We did the Luxor L&S.

Spent the late-afternoon (sunset) /early-evening having cocktails on the corniche watching people and the various boats, then had dinner in the souk a few blocks behind the corniche.

Afterwards, a leisurely walk along the corniche to the Temple for the show at about 8 or 9pm. When finished, we grabbed a taxi back to our boat - the Movenpick - docked at nearby Crocodile Island.

Was it what we expected? Not really, but it was fun walking in the dark thru the temples (we had a small flashlight, so as not to trip on the uneven ground). Overall it was a nice relaxing evening. Between the cocktails, dinner, show and taxi - total cost was maybe $45.
The L&S (do check for the one in English... though any other language might be quite interesting), cost about $25/person.