Libya, Egypt, Greece, Tunisia

Mar 21st, 2005, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Libya, Egypt, Greece, Tunisia

Hi there,

Can anyone provide input on traveling to Libya, Greece, Egypt and Tunisia? I am considering a cruise this fall and a few people have told me that I'm nuts! Any input is greatly appreciated. I have to book the trip this week.

Thanks
Mar 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM
sandi

Can't give you specifics, but now that Libya has opened to tourists this is the "hot spot." As is obvious many cruise companies are including this stop on their Med cruises. There is interesting history here and the others, but my interest would be how long you'll be in any of these ports, and what tours or other opportunities will be available for you to really enjoy these stops.

Example has been Egypt where they dock up at Alexandria and that is about all you can see. Many cruise boats offer trips down to Cairo to see the Pyramids, but it's a long ride, dusty and you don't get much time to enjoy the sights. And do you feel comfortable traveling with a few hundred (or more) of your other ship companions?

I believe it's the "tours/sightseeing" available that would concern me, not that you'll be visiting recently opened areas to tourists.

I have a friend who left on Friday for a 6-day trip to Libya only, and can't wait for her return to hear all about it. So if she's going, it's got to be safe and she knows the sights will be amazing.

Mar 21st, 2005, 06:06 AM

Clipper cruises has two expedition cruises this spring - April and May. I will be sailing on the April cruise which visits Portugal, Morocco, Spain, Tunisia, Libya, Sicily and Malta. In Libya we will visit Tripoli, Leptis Magna and Sabratha. Mainly the cruise is to visit archaeological sites and museums. We will be in ports a total of 14 days which is minus 2 days at sea. So, not long in each place but enough to get the flavor and maybe return. Tours are all included. Sandi - I agree, a visit to Alexandria was not at the top of my list although some people might enjoy it. Last year didn't find the ride in a van from Cairo at all dusty. I thought the paved four lane road to be quite modern and comfortable.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

I'm not sure how this post a reply thing works so I hope you will review my message again but would you mind telling me what your friend thought of Libya? I'm really nervous to book this cruise (at least when I consider it's going to Egypt and Libya during the time of war). My girlfriend worries me as well, as she said that we could take an excursion outside the cruise...I told her NO WAY! She is very nieve! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search this Thread