Let's swap incredible Africa stories

Apr 5th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Let's swap incredible Africa stories

I'd like to hear of the most amazing stories you have heard about Africa. I'm reading a book by Kuki Gullman about her experiences in Africa. One of my favorites is about one evening when she and her children walked through the bush at night without a gun, being very careful not to attract attention. The next morning, her husband went out to check their tracks and discovered that for the entire route, two large lions had been following right behind them.

This woman is a great storyteller, truly gifted. I guesss I'm reading her second book. Simply rivetting.
Apr 5th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

By the way. This book is called African Nights- By Kuki Gullman. Her first is called I dreamed of Africa (I'm reading them out of sequence). She sweeps you away with her amazing talents - far away - where you want to go.
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:10 PM

This might not quality as "incredible", but it did elevate my blood pressure. Last May in South Africa, my ranger and I were charged by a bull elephant while on foot during an afternoon hike. It was frightening, but exhilarating. We had a ten-minute stand-off while the elephant threw sand at us and did his best to thoroughly impress us...which he did.

Afterwards, I asked my ranger what he would have done if the elephant had closed the 10 foot gap between us. He said, "I would have had you make a run for it." Considering that we had leopard sightings in the area, my half mile run to the lodge might have been an interesting one! : )

Search this Thread