Les Cascades (Bantry Bay) vs. Cape Grace Hotel

Sep 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Les Cascades (Bantry Bay) vs. Cape Grace Hotel

We might have the opportunity to stay at the Cape Grace for half its normal rate, which would make it approximately the same rate as Les Cascades. Ideas for which hotel would be a better home base for 2 32 year olds (no kids) for exploring Cape Town for 5 days (will have a car)? Les Cascades looks intimate and modern, but a little out of town, and Cape Grace has 100 rooms and is right in the harbour. Any input greatly appreciated. Julie
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Les Cascades is very comfortable, but it's not a 100-room hotel, it's a Bed and Breakfast, so apples v. oranges.

It's about 10 min. or 15 min. by car from the waterfront, 5 or 10 min. from Camp's Bay (restaurants, etc.) - really not inconvenient. It is on an extremely steep site, with lots of stairs, and parking can be rather tricky (small parking area in the lower building at the top of a super-steep drive; upper building parking is on the street so also challenging.) Nothing is walkable; obviously the opposite is the case at the waterfront. Views to die for of course, and great breakfasts.

There's a picture of one our rooms (had to switch partway through our stay 2 weeks ago) on my website at http://home.comcast.net/~gardyloo2
Sep 19th, 2005, 02:17 AM

jck4

I have to agree with all that Gardyloo says about Les Cascades. Totally spot on. Even though the rooms at Les Cascade are better than the Grace my feelings are that if you are going to obtain such a great deal at the Cape Grace, even though I would normaly opt for guesthouse accommodation in Cape Town, there is no question in my mind that I would opt for the Grace. I say this mainly because of price, location and phenomenal service.

Gardyloo I just want to mention that as far as I am concerned your website trip report on Cape Town at http://home.comcast.net/~gardyloo2/africa4.htm is one of the best trip reports on Cape Town that I have seen. You certainly obtained a great understanding of Cape Town as a city as well as phenomenal insight into its peoples, different cultures and groupings in the short period that you stayed in our city. I truly enjoyed reading the report and would recommend that anybody wanting to visit my city read it before arriving on our shores purely for your wonderful insights as well as great style of writing. Thanks.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread