Leopards Of Simbambili Update

Jul 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Leopards Of Simbambili Update

(Update July 01 - July 09th)

I have been such a victim of A.D.D. lately and been so into trying to put together a Tanzania safari for February that I have nearly forgotten that I will be leaving for Zambia and South Africa in just 47 days!

I am saving Simbambili in the Sabi Sand as the grand finale and here is the latest update for the Leopards Of Simbambili:

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

Beautiful landscape shots and of course, leopards, leopards, leopards, along with an awesome photo of a near head on collission with a big tusker and a beautiful sunset/cloud photo.

Simbambili is a nice alternative for those of us unable to cough up $2,000 per night for Singita or Londolozi Tree. It seems like just about the best value in the Sabi Sand while sacrificing little of the luxury offered at the most expensive lodges.

I am thinking about getting myself a one-way ticket from Cape Town directly to Hoedspruit or Nelspruit to get to Simbambili and then rather than flying back, I would take a drive that would include the Panorama Route that would ultimately drop me off at Johannesburg International Airport (JNB) for my 8PM flight back to London. It would be just about the same price as if I bought air tickets back to Joburg, nearly offering me a free Panorama Route tour!

Anyway, have a look at the link for a nice update to the Leoaprds Of Simbambili weekly series produced by Taga Safaris.
Jul 16th, 2005, 11:54 AM
sandi

Roccco -

If you decide to drive from Simbambili and also do the Panorama Route - you're not going to get much Panorama Route if you're planning this all for your last day.

For an 8pm flight you've got to be at the airport by 6:30pm very very latest. The drive from Kruger to JNB is easily 5-6 hours - so when are you going to do the PR? Certainly not in 1-day.

If you have two days, then you can concentrate Day 1 on the PR, then overnight - there are some lovely accommodations in the area. Continue the PR part of Day 2, but haul it to JNB for that homebound flight. And from where will you be renting a car when at Simbambili?

I base the time on what we had available our last day. Besides the fact that we had fog and couldn't stop at some of the places along the route, we also had to be at Nelspruit for a 5pm flight to JNB (only 1-hr - into Domestic terminal) hook-up with and collect the items we left with our tour operator and get to the Intl terminal to check-in.

It's way too tight for one day.

Jul 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Sandi,

You are probably right. I will just have to do this on one of the days that I am at Simbambili. Rather than spend $250 pp for a tour, I may just want to rent a car and invite along my fellow Fodorites. We, Fodorites, will be well represented at Simbambili occupying the majority of the camp!

I am just so excited about my Southern African itinerary. The only thing I would change if I could would be to add an overnight in Joburg before I had to proceed all the way through to Lower Zambezi (an additonal 6 hours by the time you count the layovers). But, once I am in Lower Zambezi, I will be there for a full 6 nights, as I will be in South Luangwa before 4 nights of luxury at the Twelve Apostles in Cape Town and 3 nights of leopards galore at Simbambili in the Sabi Sand. 15 nights on safari in high season plus 4 nights of Cape Town.

Jul 30th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Another great update just posted...

(Update July 19th - 28th)

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

Lion eating giraffe kill

Rhino

Elephants within a few meters of the vehicle and fearless tracker who never moved from his seat perched on the hood of the vehicle

Leopard in tree with impala kill

Juvenile leopard with mother

Lion pride

Great sunset

-------

I am SOOOO looking forward to Simbambili (in addition to my 12 night Zambian safari and 4 night Cape Town stay)

THIRTY DAYS AND COUNTING - Zambia & South Africa

Abot 175 days and counting - Tanzania & Zanzibar! (Booked and confirmed)

Search this Thread