Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   length of skirt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/length-of-skirt-711883/)

annarb Jun 9th, 2007 08:35 PM

length of skirt

I will be traveling in Israel in June. Do I need to wear skirts that come down to the ankle when I visit religious sites or will a skirt below my knee be acceptable?I

eri Jun 9th, 2007 10:41 PM

If it is not a mini skirt it will be fine. But why bother? Wear your jeans or carry a pareo with you in your bag!

AlexA Jun 11th, 2007 12:27 PM

Below the knee is fine.In some places, they have shawls to tie around bare legs (like if you're wearng shorts).It also is good to have a sweater or shirt to cover bare arms. BTW, jeans are less problematic than a short skirt as it is the bareness and showing of skin that is most offensive to some, but is is most respactful to wear a longish skirt or coverup

SandyMerm Jul 5th, 2007 07:11 PM

Below your knees are fine & no sleeveless tops. However it is not true that jeans are less offensive, in most religious Jewish sites women are not allowed to wear pants so keeping a parea in your bag is not a bad idea, it saved me in Israel as well as places in Greece!

eri Jul 6th, 2007 01:49 AM

Sandy,
You are wrong. I live here most of my 65 years. You can wear jeans everywhere!

FainaAgain Aug 7th, 2007 01:17 PM

You also need a short sleeve, like a t-shirt.

SandyMerm Aug 16th, 2007 08:54 PM

I was refering to religious Jewish sites. Women cannot wear jeans. Period. If you put a parea on over that is great, then you are wearing a skirt. But to walk in with jeans only is considered offensive by many & would not be permitted. And it is disrespectful as well.

eri Aug 16th, 2007 09:46 PM

Sandy,
You are wrong. True the orthodox jews don't wear jeans. But women visitors do. I travel all over the country, never carry a parea with me. Never walk in shorts or tank tops while entering a religious Jewish site, and am always respectful to others. I am most probably older than you, born in Israel even before its indepenoence... And from my long life experience I can tell you without hesitation - you can go in jeans everywhere!!!
The only people that react violently to a woman in jeans are the ultra orthodox "charedim" in Mea Shearim" and Bnei Berak> But those people would throw stones at you even if you walk in jeans on a very public school in Jerusalem or sit in a bus that crosses their neighborhood.
So maybe you shouldn't be so sure in your statement and no so easy in spreading your "periods" around. You simply are very wrong and don't know what you are talking about.

Debra10019 Aug 22nd, 2007 08:43 AM

You must be confusing the Muslim sites with the Jewish sites. At the Muslims sites I think you have to be more covered up, not the Jewish ones.

eri Aug 23rd, 2007 12:03 AM

I am not confusing anything!
The issue is not coverage. Nobody is arguing that wearing mini skirts is not acceptable. Wearing skirts that are below the knees is OK, as well as wearing jeans or other long pants is also OK. Sandy is mistaken and is confusing women who plan a visit to Israel.

SandyMerm Aug 30th, 2007 12:55 PM

I'm really not attempting to argue with you Eri. The question was from a person who asked about the length of skirts in a religious site specifically. Of course you can wear jeans anywhere you want in Israel. But clearly this was a question referring to skirts in a religious site. It is not a question of me being wrong & as this is a civilized discussion board, there is no need to accuse me of being wrong and not knowing what I am talking about. I do actually, but I would certainly never say that to someone else as I find that disresepectful. I doubt very highly that I am confusing people. I was not referring to all sites in Israel. If someone specifically asked about skirt length to a religious site. Then clearly, that is what they intended to wear to that site. I was merely addressing the length. Having gone to religious school, I actually do understand the finer points of the skirt/pants debate, but it is all irrelevant here so how about if we just put the debate to rest, agree to disagree and let people make their own choices.

eri Aug 31st, 2007 02:53 AM

Sandy,
Did I write the following sentence or may be did you - "in most religious Jewish sites women are not allowed to wear pants"?