leaving tomorrow

Jun 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

leaving tomorrow

we are finally going to Kenya tomorrow. Our in Kenya rep e-mailed us today to suggest we don't have any evidence that we are Americans on any of our luggage. She also stated to tell all people that we meet that we are from Canada and to quickly make up a short "bio." Should I be worried? I know an American was killed today, but I thought I was going into friendly ground
Jun 19th, 2004, 03:43 AM
sandi

katj232 - take the information as advice and just as one would do if traveling anywhere, just be smart. In other words, no need to be waving the flag! They will know you are Americans the moment you open your mouth... it's a give away.

The people in Kenya are warm and welcoming and will love your USD. One has to use common sense regardless where they travel. Most people don't put their home address on their luggage anyways, all you have are the baggage tags from airlines. Be aware of your surroudings but most time you'll be out of major urban areas. I'd be more cautious in Mombassa, but even that might be overkill.

Personally, I believe your rep is stupid to even mention this especially the day before departure. Any warning or suggestions should have been provided long enough before leaving so you'd have a game plan - not the day before???

katj - use your head, be aware of your surroundings and don't talk to strangers (just like your mom advised)... you're going to have a great time. Don't forget your trip report here on your return. Happy travels.

Jun 19th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I'd be more concerned about the idiot you have for a travel rep. than anything else.
Jun 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Katj232: You will be fine. As Sandi noted, just use common sense. I too have to question the motive behind your travel rep imparting this information just a day before you leave. You will have a wonderful time. Enjoy the sites and sounds of such a fantastic country. Just make sure to do a trip report when you come home.

Search this Thread