Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Leaving next Tuesday, what do I need to bring (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/leaving-next-tuesday-what-do-i-need-to-bring-216835/)

ellene Jan 4th, 2006 02:30 PM

Leaving next Tuesday, what do I need to bring

Heading out for 4 nights in SSGR(Simbambili, and Mala Mala) then 4 nights in Cape Town. What do I need to bring? Do I need sweaters for the morning game drives, or is it too hot. How fancy is the 12 Apostles? Is it acceptable to walk around in shorts at all of these? Is jacket required at one water front or any of the fine dining restarants in capetown or wine lands?

Do I need adapters at the lodge for battery chargers?

Do the lodges provide toiletries?

Any suggestions would be helpful as I look at my one bag and try and figure out how to pack for both.

Roccco Jan 4th, 2006 04:24 PM

Ellene,

The Twelve Apostles is casually elegant. It would be perfectly fine to walk around in shorts, although not for dinner in the restaurant.

The interior of the Twelve Apostles is almost like a nice cruise ship. Fancy but given that you are at sea, almost expected that you will be mostly casual.

You are going to love the breakfast buffets at the Twelve Apostles and what perfect weather you should have for eating it on the outdoor patio overlooking the Atlantic. Lucky, lucky, lucky!

Simbambili should be a great experience. Given the warm weather that you should experience, you should get plenty of mileage out of your plunge pool. I really don't think sweaters will be necessary in the Sabi Sand in January but I will defer this to other travelers who have visited at this time of year. I never needed a sweater in early March at Singita three years ago.

If memory serves me correct, you should have both American and UK power outlets at the Twelve Apostles. You will need adaptors at Simbambili and I have not been to Mala Mala so I cannot advise you there.

Regarding toiletries, you are staying at all 5 star places and they will provide toiletries, although some of the toiletries (toothbrush/hair brush) will be on sale in the little shops at Simbambili and Mala Mala. I would not bother bringing a sweater for game drives...if it gets a little cold, which I doubt, you can guy a sweater or light jacket at Simbambili or Mala Mala and this will make a wonderful souvenir for you afterwards. My wife still sports around her Singita safari hat on each of our safaris regardless whether we are in the Sabi Sand, Zambia or elsewhere.

Cape Town is a really casual city and I don't think you are going to need a jacket at any of the restaurants you are likely to visit but I am not sure about this requirement in the Winelands.

You have a beautiful itinerary and should have an amazing time! Please come back and provide a trip report and photos. :)

cary999 Jan 4th, 2006 10:14 PM

Leaving next Tuesday, what do I need to bring.

No, it is "Leaving next Tuesday, what do I need to TAKE"
Happy New Year - Tom

ellene Jan 5th, 2006 02:01 AM

Thanks for the advice and the grammar lesson.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.

napamatt Jan 5th, 2006 05:37 AM

Ellene

Mala Mala has one electrical outlet in the room with both English and American connections.

I will have a fleece for the beginning of the morning drive and the end of the night drive. Remember you go out just after dawn and the vehicles are open, so until the sun warms up, it will feel chilly while driving. Becuase there is plenty of space we usually have a small backpack with extra layers. I will have a t-shirt, or short leeved shirt, then I will alternate between a vest and fleece as necessary.

If you have camera equipment I recommend carrying a black garbage bag. When it rains, you can place the camera in the bag and wrap it up safe. Chances are you will get wet on at least one game drive. Mala Mala has rain suits which do a pretty good job of keeping you damp, not dry.

napamatt Jan 5th, 2006 05:38 AM

Missed the toiletries question first up.

Mala Mala has everything except conditioner.

ellene Jan 5th, 2006 03:40 PM

Thanks, do you think I need a small nylon back pack? Just picked up a camcorder(went with the sony on your advice). Have also read it is helpful on game drives to carry wipes.

napamatt Jan 6th, 2006 08:10 AM

Ellene

My wife has the little plastic bottles of hand sanitizer, sundowners are usually a bathroom opportunity followed by snacks and drinks, the wipes or hand sanitizer are a good idea.

We have a small back pack to carry field guides, extra clothing and anything else my wife deems necessary. This is more for the winter when we have a lot of additional clothes and hats, gloves etc, but still useful. Our camera stuff is in camera bags, which have room for the various bits and pieces we need. You may want to have a lens cloth available. It won't be dusty but you may get some crud on the lens.