leaving in 13 days-weather/clothing question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so very excited-first safari and first family safari with 2 teens coming up quickly. we will be in sanctuary at ol lentille (laikipia north) for 4 nights, then kicheche laikipia for 3 then kicheche mara for 4. we have been advised to bring jackets, gloves, winter hats etc. however, when I check the weather I am seeing highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. what am I missing here? thanks all.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM

we were there in April and it was cold in the morning. We started in Samburu and the kids told me I was crazy for making them take a fleece. After arrival at Ol Pejeta (in Laikipia), they thanked me. We didn't use hats or gloves, but they don't take up much space and are appreciated if they are needed.

(We didn't really take a fleece... we took a "better sweater" like in the link)
http://www.patagonia.com/product/wom...ece/25617.html

Are you checking the weather in Laikipia? It is noticably cooler there due to the elevation.

We also wore lots of dri-fit - the light quarter zip sweatshirts were perfect either as a layer or alone. They pack to virtually nothing and dry quickly if washed.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I really think hats and gloves are overkill. I don't wear those at home unless it goes below 45 or so. I think you'd be better off layering
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:46 PM

We didnt want to use up lots of precious carry-on space (we each traveled with only one bag) so bought only knit cap, lightweight sleeveless vest and gloves. All came in handy in the early morning, and late in the evening, on the jeeps. The wind whistled through them! This was in Ol Pejeta / Laikipia at Porini Rhino (where Kicheche is also located ). It was cold until about 7:30 am and after 5 pm. I was there toward end of June (same month as you) three yrs ago. Also, don't worry-- the safari camps will provide you with blankets .Plus, you'll sit around the campfire at night, and it gets cold--e kept inching closer to the flames to warm up.

We didnt need hat or mittens in either Samburu or the Mara though.

People laugh when they see photos of me and the others in that camp, all bundled up.

Maybe it is just about covering all bases, and the things you're reading are preparing for a coldest-scene scenario.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 06:44 PM

We managed with carry on in July - a fleece, a cashmere, plus shorts/pants/tees and hoodies for our teens. No hats or gloves, but we did bring wool socks. If I were going now I'd take one of those packable down jackets because it's smaller than a fleece. And Porini provides ponchos and blankets for chilly mornings.