Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Israel Sept. 4-need help with itinerary in north.

Aug 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi
We are leaving on sept. 4 and arrive on the 5th. Have reservations for 2 nights at the Melody Hotel. Picking up a car for 7 days and am stuck at this point. Not sure whether to go to Tiberius first and explore that area or Ceasaria and then to Haifa to explore that area. As we have 7 days I don't feel rushed but would prefer to explore the more historic areas the longest. Upon returning the car,we have reservations at the Dan Panorama for 4 nights. If I don't get to Masada this trip, I will on my next, we just want a relaxing trip, where we don't have to drive to the north and then make a dash to the south.
These 7 days are open and appreciate your input.
thanks
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Well, of course, the Galilee and the north coast aren't exactly light years from each other - you could base yourself in one and make driving day trips to the other without any great hardship.

We have family in the Galilee, so perhaps we're a bit biased, but I think it's a wonderful area for visitors.

You might consider basing yourself at Rosh Pina (various spellings) which has a number of stylish and affordable B & Bs, and which is close to Safed, Tiberias, and the whole Galilee and Golan Heights tourism areas, and which is maybe an hour 90 min. drive from some coastal highlights, like Caesarea, Akko, Haifa itself or Rosh Hanikra. It's certainly not a bustling place, but it's very beautiful and calm, a bit more up-market than Tiberias.

I don't know that I would write off Masada; if you have 4 days at the Dan Panorama (I presume the one in Jerusalem) you might consider a day tour to Masada - there are umpteen that go from Jerusalem; your hotel could easily set it up.
Aug 28th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Sorry, meant it's an hour to 90 min. drive.
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase tickets in Israel for a roundtrip flight from NYC to Tel Aviv and then back to NYC? I heard that tickets are much cheaper over there. Thanks. -Val
Aug 28th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gardyloo
You've given me another alternative to consider. I realize the country is small and I have to get used to it. I've planned trips to central and eastern europe but this time I've been stymied. Well it's back to my fodors to look up Rosh Pina.
I guess I'm ised to staying in a place for a couple of days and moving on.
alan
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Aug 30th, 2008, 12:05 AM
aby

aeiger

let me recommend a magical place in upper Galilee
http://www.zimmer.co.il/galil_lang.a...h4m=&addstat=0

the Amitais are a wonderful couple
If u r into walking - nobody knows better than Aharoni Amitai, even the tiniest forest trail. for years he was head of SPNI (Society for Protection of Nature in Israel) Upper Galilee Field School. nowadays you can enjoy the pure olive oil he's making, growing the olives himself. They also make their own jams and even wine in their tiny cellar!

aby
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi
I'd like to thank those that responded and gave me helpful information. I am leaving tonight and am looking forward to my trip.
Thanks