Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Leave 6/6: need immed. advice on restaurants in Cairo and Oberoi Philae Cruise

Leave 6/6: need immed. advice on restaurants in Cairo and Oberoi Philae Cruise

Jun 3rd, 1998, 03:10 PM
Cindy Ley-Sepe

Leave 6/6: need immed. advice on restaurants in Cairo and Oberoi Philae Cruise

Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants in Cairo? I've heard that I need to be careful and to not eat anything raw (fruits and vegetables) in Egypt. Is it tue? Also, we're staying at the Mena House and then we are taking a cruise on the Oberoi Philae. This brings me to the next few questions: 1) Any information on the Oberoi Philae Cruise ship? 2) Any information on Mena House?

And finally, is there any advice for two women traveling alone? Please write back A.S.A.P

Jun 5th, 1998, 09:50 AM
Paula Smith

The Mena House and its ship are 5 star accomendtions. The Mena House is a block from
Pyramid complex and the Sphinx - you can see the Pyramids from the balcony of your room. There are the old hotel and garden hotel - tourists stay usually in the garden hotel. Ask the staff to let you see the suites of Churchill, Montgomery, and
Roosevelt.

You should not eat fresh fruits and vegetables - mummy tummy is no fun. You should use bottled water
only for drinking and brushing your teeth. You should also have no ice cubes.

If you feel uncomfortable in an area, use commonsense and leave. Ask the hotel for recommendations for dinner and points of interest. They will also be able to give you assistance on guides and drivers. Take only taxis from inside the
hotel comple - the doorman keeps track of destinations, etc.

Wear modest clothing - cover your shoulders, no short shorts, no short skirts. Nothing too tight.
Men take the fact that you are dressed suggestively as an invitation.

E-mail up till departure for further info - [email protected].

tutsgold.com makes Egypt happen!!

Jun 5th, 1998, 08:26 PM
Sharon Mason

In Cairo, I recommend Felfela for authentic Egyptian food (very inexpensive, funky atmosphere, no credit cards accepted) and Arabesque (Egyptian and Continental, this one takes credit cards). At both restaurants be sure to have the Om Ali for dessert. It is kind of a bread pudding made with puff pastry, nuts and currants plus lots of milk and sugar. The biggest thing is to use only bottled water (I also brushed my teeth with bottled water). You can eat fresh fruit and vegetables that are peeled. However, if you are worried than stick to cooked versions. The Mena House is right across from the Pyramids (which makes it about a half an hour from Central Cairo). It was originally a Palace, so the public areas are quite beautiful (I only had lunch there, I stayed at the Marriott, another converted palace, however, much more centrally located). You will have a great time in Egypt. I cruised on the Nile Romance. Your boat is supposed to be one of the ones at the top, so it should be terrific.

Jun 10th, 1998, 03:08 AM
vigdis

Be aware that the Nile cruisers are especially "famous" for "giving" their guests "jala-jala" (run-run). It is some time now since my husband and I cruised the Nile, but almost everybody on board had problems except us. But I fell extremely ill (stomach trouble)one day after we returned home. Stay away from mayonaise and similar sauces. Some friends told me that they bought water that was cheaper than usual and fell ill from it. So take care.
But Egypt is a fantastic country! You swim in culture and history.

Search this Thread