Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

least of evils? "masai safari club" "keekrock" "sarova"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone,

please accept my aplogizes for making this a new thread. on my computer the longer a thread is, the longer it takes to load.

i am faced with this decision. three operators, each charging me more than my $ 2 K budget for 3 nights mara 1 night sarova 2 nighs amboseli, each stil say they have mara serena "tentatively' booked but not confirmed. each telling me the names of their back-ups.

i am 100% certain there is no room at mara serena, having phoned there myself, so, knowing they are going to bump me to one of these is any less awful?

safari club
keekrock
sarova?

i am going to pay today, so thanks very much for whatever info you can give on only these lodges.

i prefer modern to rustic. no open bathrooms.
sorry to be so negative.
kerikeri
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
aby

Hi Kerikeri

Don't take it as Evil !
You shall have a great Safari !!

I've not been to Mara Safari Club, but been to the others and i really like them.
If 'rustic' means tents Keekorok is the only one that has an option for rooms (lately renovated ! does it mean "modern"?)
Safari Club belongs to Lonrho (could be more expensive) it is on a private concession out of the Reserve (far north). check if they have night game drives etc'
Keekorok is the first of all lodges in Mara & Kenya in general (1964??). the chosen location is a really good one year-round... not close to a crossing like Serena, but with a breakfastbox u can reach the serena side though it is a drive... on the other hand, it is close to Sand River area, Talek area, Sarova area & Sopa (when the herds r Sopa side few lodges can reach it easily)
As for Sarova - i personally love the place (good feng shui, some tents overlooking ponds with Nymphaea water-lilies)

When will be there ?

aby
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:37 AM
sandi

Sarova and Safari Club are both tented. About 50-60 tents. Keekorok a lodge recently remodeled, but it certainly isn't "modern." Though the oldest property in the Mara, is now practically the newest.

Mara Safari Club is in the Northwest; Keekorok is in the Southeast; Sarova (I believe) is in the Northeast. Micato and A&K actually use Safari Club for a number of their itineraries, if that gives it more preference.

During Migration, game can be found almost everywhere in and around the Mara. There are resident herds that never migrate; the others are constantly on the move. River crossings can never be guaranteed wherever you are. And during season, you'll be driving everywhere.

Many love the Sarova; Keekorok (when visited before the remodel) was the cleanest place. And, this may be the smallest of the three properties.

Toss a coin. Don't believe you'll go wrong with any of them. Good luck!

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:43 AM

What happened to booking Kichwa Tembo through CCA? I thought you said that was working out?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks all three of you i will absolutely do a coin toss.

patty, re: cc africa, i thought so, too! i phoned their offices in africa three times and their usa number three times, but i began doing that tuesday and here we are and nothing is settled. they say they cannot reach nairobi on the line to confirm the availability.

thank you all again, i do appreciate your input and i will decide something.

thanks especially for that geography lesson- much needed, despite my fodor's book map. oh and fodor's all the phone numbers at least for lake nakuru lodging are entirely wrong!
kerikeri

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM
aby

Kerikeri
look at this map
http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/MasaiMara1.jpg
& thank Eban !!!
on his site there r maps u can also use with Google-Earth
http://www.go-safari.com/safari_Kenya.htm

Depends WHEN u r going, my inclination would be Keekorok

aby
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM

I think kerikeri is leaving in 1 or 2 weeks?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM
aby

Ok if it is off the migration season, Keekorok has good resident game, and the areas around (specified before) have got a pretty nice predator population... Sarova is not far from Keekorok, & close to Talek area...

bottom line: at this time, i , personally would NOT prefer Serena !

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Yes a lot of area codes seem to have changed in Kenya recently. I had the same problem with Nakuru numbers when I waas there - the newest guidebooks should have the new numbers if you have time to pick one up - or need them anymore.

I don't think it sounds bad at all - just they are not small and intimate places. None of them are at all "rustic" or have open bathrooms.

If it isn't already too late have you looked at
http://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/k...marahotels.asp

There are little videos from two of the three places - sounds like you have a slow connection but they load surprisingly fast and maybe you can get on another computer for 15 minutes? The Keekorok ones are "before" remodeling - the bathrooms are certainly nicer now. They look to be on their last legs in the video.

I'd choose Keekorok because it's probably smallest and is unfenced.

Glad you got it sorted.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM

If you go to www.wildernesslodges.co.ke you can see pics of the renovated rooms at Keekorok.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
aby

just to clarify:
Keekorok is the largest
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:05 AM

2K? for 3 nights Mara, 1 night sarova and 2 nights Amboseli? is this price for one person? if yes, you amaze me! which Tour companies are those? they must be extremely expensive! I do know the price range for most of the lodges in Kenya, have travelled there several times. I find difficult to understand whether you are true.....sorry
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I think kerikeri is flying quite a lot kewit. Also, she had very little time to get this organised and had a lot of difficulty finding the accommodation she wanted at short notice. She did get quite a few different quotes too - mostly from local operators - and I guess those with lower prices were not able to come through for her in time. I too thought it would be cheaper in June but it's not like she didn't shop around a bit.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM

How many rooms does Keekorok have? I believe Mara Safari Club is 50 and Sarova is 75.

I also think kerikeri is flying. Even if she was traveling by road, if this is a private safari, it would be costly for a solo traveler since there's no one else to share the cost of the vehicle with.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
aby

Patty
Keekorok used to have around 90 rooms.

Now after renovation, i've found this:
" The oldest property in Masai Mara is now the newest! A total of 68 bedrooms, dining and reception areas have been completely renovated. Work on the balance of 25rooms will commence soon after the present high season"
68+25=93
Link: http://www.twiga-tours.com/leading%2...properties.htm
This is what it says about Mara Sarova:
"The previous green tents have been replaced by the new fresh looking beige/khaki tents. The entire tent decor has been changed - polished wooden floors, hand-made beds set against concrete headboards, fabric insets and rustic tiled bathrooms with luxurious sized showers."