Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel

May 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel

Hi there,

I have heard that there is a lot of renovation work being carried out at Le Meridien Pyramids hotel at Giza. My hubby and I are due to stay there in September but we don`t want the hotel to be as noisy as downtown Cairo, so I`m trying to find out from people who know the real situation so that we can alter our booking now if it needs to be done.
I heard about the work there here:
http://travelvideo.tv/news/more.php?id=5206_0_1_0_M

Any advice or comments about this would be really helpful.

Thanks, Di
Gateway To Ancient Egypt
http://www.gatewaytoancientegypt.co.uk

May 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM

(Le Méridien Pyramids....A refurbishment of all rooms is drawing to a close at Le Méridien Pyramids. An update of public areas, including the pool and its surrounding area, is also scheduled for this year.
There are also plans to add an additional 200 rooms, making it the largest hotel in the pyramids area.)

I've been out there picking up guests several times recently and not noticed anything much going on in the renovation end, but according to that article there are plans. I would say that you're going to have to toss a coin and take your chances.... this is Egypt and while there may be perfectly good plans to do all that they are saying to do, it might happen and it might not happen, but nearly always, it won't happen on schedule.

If you want to avoid it, choose another hotel. I always recommend people stay in town instead of out at the pyramids anyway if you will be here to do anything other than see the pyramids. They are a long way out, and you'll spend a good bit of time traveling in and out of the city if you want to come into Cairo for much. There are several hotels in the city that have pyramid views (when the weather is clear enough)and most are much closer to other fun things to do and certainly closer to a variety of good restaurants to have dinner at.
When the new museum gets built out near the pyramids, then the hotels out there will be a better choice in my mind.

Having said all that, if you do stay at the Le Meridian, have one meal in the Le Med restaurant there. I was fortunate enough to get to do a magazine review of that restaruant last week, and WOW...what good food! Don't go until you've had the Red Soup for desert. YUM!

Search this Thread