Layover suggestions from Atlanta to South Africa

Dec 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Layover suggestions from Atlanta to South Africa

I am traveling to South Africa in May 2015 from Atlanta, GA and want to break up the trip a bit on the way there (planning on flying direct on the way home). Other than London and Paris (going there in 2016), does anyone have suggestions on a fun layover stop (probably stay a couple days)?
Dec 5th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Amsterdam.
Dec 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam is actually the only place, so far, in Europe that I have already been! : )
Dec 5th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Well, there aren't too many places in Europe with nonstop flights to South Africa, and I was thinking of stopover points where you wouldn't need to take too many connecting flights or long train rides, since your time would be short.

Towns (that I can list off the top of my head) with nonstops to SA and good connections or nonstops from ATL -

London
Paris
Frankfurt
Amsterdam
Istanbul
Munich
Zurich
Dec 6th, 2014, 05:51 AM

From the list suggested by Gardyloo, I vote for Istanbul. You will need at least 3 full days there, more would be better.
Zurich would be fine for 1-2 days, I was not impressed (we were coming from the mountains, which were amazing), but nice for a short stop.
Dec 6th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Just fly direct. We did this once - did a three day layover in London. What a waste of time and money. It was like it never happened compared to out great time in S Africa. If you want time to get used to the time change, spend it in Cape Town or Johannesburg. There's so much to do in both.
Dec 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM

Just recently did the non-stop JFK/NYC to JNB (14/hrs) with a connection here to Dar-es-Salaam/DAR, Tanzania arriving 2pm... it's was a killer and though an 'award' ticket, if I'm ever asked/conflicted about ''free' vs 'pay' again - shoot me. Though an early arrival whether it was JNB or even DAR with plenty of time to sleep to catch up on jet lag, never again. Admittedly though, we all deal differently with jet lag!

Thus as you've already been to AMS, then I'd choose ISTanbul for at least 3/days - so much to see/do... anything less would be a waste. But do check the Turkish Air flight times that often have odd arrival & departure hours, which might discount this otherwise great city.
Dec 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM
TC

I agree with christabir...just do the non-stop and get on with the beauty of S. Africa. We've been three times. The first we "broke up the trip" with a stop in AMSTERDAM. On the second and third, it was straight off to the bush with only one night in 'Dar or Jo-burg to catch our breath. I'm not a big fan of combining too much in one trip. Being in ATL, puts you in a Delta hub. The best connections will be through CDG.

Search this Thread