Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Layover in Khartoum-good or bad? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/layover-in-khartoum-good-or-bad-448323/)

tamiandtoto Oct 26th, 2008 11:44 AM

Layover in Khartoum-good or bad?

After adopting a little boy in Ethiopia we will have a layover in Khartoum on our way back to the US. Is this a good idea or bad idea? Not having traveled to that part of the world I wasn't sure if I was making too much of this or if I should try and find another route home.

atravelynn Oct 26th, 2008 05:40 PM

Congratulations on your adoption. What a lucky little boy.

I've never been to Sudan or Ethiopia, but I'd pick another airport if possible.

Patty Oct 27th, 2008 10:03 AM

What flight is this? One flight that comes to mind that stops in Khartoum is the Kenya Airways Nairobi-Cairo flight. On this flight continuing passengers are not allowed to deplane at KRT.

cruisinred Oct 27th, 2008 11:39 AM

Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

I flew to Ethiopia earlier this year on KLM. There was a brief layover in Khartoum, but passengers continuing to Addis did not get off the plane. If your flight is on KLM or Lufthansa, I wouldn't worry about the layover in Khartoum as you just stay on the plane.

Atravelynn: this is a side note that I hope does not seem inapporpriate, and I know that your good wishes are well intentioned. But I just thought I would mention that I have heard from many adoptive parents, and adoptee children, that there is a lot of sensitivity regarding the "what a lucky child to have been saved from a life in a 3rd world country...." type of comment....

atravelynn Oct 27th, 2008 01:21 PM

Any adopted child who finds a loving home is a lucky child no matter where she or she comes from.

atravelynn Oct 27th, 2008 01:43 PM

Tamiandoto is lucky too, for that matter.

But none of this good luck talk is really answering the question.

tamiandtoto Oct 27th, 2008 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone for well wishes--we feel truly blessed to have him as part of our family. This is actually a Ethiopian Air Addis-Cairo flight that is only in Khartoum for 45 min. So I wasn't sure if we would even be getting off the plane. I know I am sort of piecing this trip together but I am saving about $2000 in the end. With that said, I don't want to be taking any risks either...

cruisinred Oct 28th, 2008 05:34 AM

tamiandtoto-

You could confirm with the airline, but it sounds like you will not be getting off the plane during your layover. In which case, I would not have any worries about your flight, especially given the substantial cost savings.

maxwell Oct 28th, 2008 10:13 AM

tamiandtoto -
I've had a short layover in Khartoum twice, and like crusinred, we didn't deplane either. It was like any other layover (uneventful...) I really wouldn't worry about it -- save the money, and congrats and good luck! I was on a Delta or AirFrance flight (I can't remember which) and they stop in Khartoum also en route to Ethiopia (or at least they did when I flew.)