Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   laundry service in Luxor or Aswan? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/laundry-service-in-luxor-or-aswan-828144/)

Karenackermann Feb 24th, 2010 05:16 PM

laundry service in Luxor or Aswan?

We will be on a boat between Luxor and Aswan for 7 nights. We are trying to pack light but in case we need clean clothes, are there laundromats or drop off places to get laundry done? We have done this in South America and England and it was very convienient. Much better than paying by the piece at a hotel.

Casual_Cairo Feb 25th, 2010 12:16 AM

Paying by the piece at the hotel in Egypt is not that expensive. You will be better off doing it that way. If you find a man with an ironing business on the street, you might try him, but he will probably take the laundry home for his wife to clean it, and you don't know what they will use or how they will do it.
It's just not that expensive here, unless of course you are on a 5* tour and in that case, if you can afford the hotel, go ahead and splurge for the laundry services once during your trip. I think you'll be glad you did.

MissGreen Feb 25th, 2010 12:55 AM

As many people smoke in Egypt, will clothes come back fresh or smoky?

Hunbille Feb 25th, 2010 05:03 AM

Most cruise boats will offer a laundry service, and it is usually very cheap, so no need to look elsewhere.

sandi Feb 25th, 2010 06:29 AM

You can have your laundry done on the boat. Turn over (before going to breakfast) early morning, you'll have back later in the day. Inexpensive.

If you choose to have it done at hotel, as Casual_Cairo mentions, prices are very reasonable.

davecutter73 Feb 26th, 2010 07:26 AM

laundry can usually be done on the boat very cheaply i dont know what boat you are going on but for the last 4 years we have been on the domina prestige and the laudry service is excellant your clothes come back fully pressed and folded i hope this is usefull to you.

samcat Feb 28th, 2010 01:54 PM

We had ours done on the boat -- maybe not "cheap" but worth it!

MissGreen Mar 1st, 2010 12:26 AM

I asked above.. maybe it was missed. Do your clothes smell clean and fresh when they return? THanks.

samcat Mar 1st, 2010 03:06 AM

On the boat, our clothes were clena and fresh.

Casual_Cairo Mar 1st, 2010 11:24 AM

MissGreen - Pack some dryer towels (those things Americans can use in their dryers to keep things from Clinging to each other). If your clothes don't pass your inspection for "clean and fresh" those will fix any issues very quickly, I bet.

scotsgirl Mar 3rd, 2010 10:47 AM

Miss Egypt,

i used the Laundry Service on the Nile Cruises I have been on and my clothes came back lovely and fresh, crisp and clean. In actual fact my linen trousers never looked as good when I bought them as they did when they came back from the laundry.

Dont send your underwear or anything like that, take some travel wash with you for those types of things, wash them through in the bath / sink or shower, but other than that - send it to the laundry.

I even contemplated on sending everything to the laundry the last day so that when I came home I didnt have all the laundry to catch up on when I came back :-) I am definately going to do that another time :-) I detest emptying out the baggage and having to do piles of laundry on my return from vacation :-)

Scotsgirl