Search

Photo storage

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photo storage

I suspect that some of you knowledgeable people will have the latest information about this. I had a 40gig Flashtrax for about the last 2 years. It served its purpose well and even stored music and played it with its own external speaker. Alas, I lost it. I borrowed a P-2000 for a recent short trip and it is certainly impressive, especially in the clarity of its screen and the fun way it presents slide shows.
Now, as I plan my October trip to southern Africa, I need (poor me) to buy a new device. I figure I should wait until September to see what has come out by then.
I would really appreciate your thoughts about this!!! This board is awsome.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM

There was recently a very in depth discussion about storage devices. Please see this thread --
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34620989
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM

We have a Flashtrax that we have used for our last two trips, but I recently bought a Creative Labs Zen vision, a portable media player that will play music and various movie formats as well. It also has a compact flash card slot on it, so it doubles as a photo storage device. I thought it was cool to combine entertainment with photo storage, so I am looking forward to trying it out on our next trip.
Chris
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM

It's Mother's Day and my dear husband gave me this for a gift.

http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/ne...lite-02081652/

If the link works it is for the new Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite, it will be available later this month(?). It is SMALL and lightweight(key for our Africa trip this Oct). It will store RAW files also, kinda pricey $500-600. Worth looking into if you are in the market for photo storage device.

momofmany
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

I KNEW it! I knew I could count on this group for the latest information. I really hope that you will keep us posted, Chris and momofmany, about how these devices work out. I would love it if I could contact you before I buy my new unit in the fall. If so, please send me your e-mail address at mediatorr at yahoo dot com. Thank you.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM

THE digital photography site "dpreview" has a forum dedicated to "Storage and Media", url is - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023
regards - tom