Late October safari - where?

Mar 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Late October safari - where?

Nov 3 - 20 we have a birding safari in Uganda and are thinking about doing another week long safari before this in late October...possibly Mara, Serengeti or Rwanda. We'd love to see the migration, but know it's based on rain and there are no guarantees. Rwanda would be to hedge our bets at gorilla sightings. I'm not sure how crazy, expensive or time-consuming flights would be to do any of these. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM

I think it would be easier logistically to combine Uganda with Kenya or Rwanda.

Are you also trekking in Bwindi? If so, you could start in Rwanda, then cross over to Uganda and head to Bwindi. Here's a trip report that includes treks in both Uganda and Rwanda, only the travel was in the opposite direction - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34444009

There are daily nonstops from Nairobi to either Entebbe or Kigali. To get from Uganda or Rwanda to Tanzania may require routing through Nairobi.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:21 AM

Hello,

If you want to see gorillas, you can do so in Uganda.

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Yes, we will be gorilla trekking in Bwindi but not until the middle of the birding tour, which starts in Kampala on Nov 3. Based on forum comments, the trekking in Uganda is fairly tough (I'm worried I might not make it) but is easier in Rwanda. If we do the Mara, I assume we'd need to fly back to Nairobi, transfer to NBO and then fly to Entebbe. Where would be a good place to stay in the Mara at that time of the year?

Search this Thread