late may or late june for south africa/botswana?

Jan 29th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

late may or late june for south africa/botswana?

any opinions?
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Opinions about what? You would have to be a wee little bit more specific. Do you want opinions on what to wear? whether you need malaria drugs? Where to golf? dive? bunge jump? This is way too broad a question.
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

which months are better for safari/game viewing?
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:04 AM

Hmmm - thought the question was pretty obvious from the title in the first place...

Anyway - I can't comment on SAfrica but we enjoyed visiting the Delta in Botswana in late June. Be aware that the temperatures are warm in the day - and even quite hot (from my wussy English perspective) but get really quite chilly at night. This is relevant as you will be waking before sunrise for the first drive of the day - if you, like me, like to shower first thing - it's COLD. Many of the bathrooms are semi open. There is hot water but stepping out of it into the cold air is shiver-inducing. Where I could I switched to leaving my shower till midday/ afternoon break time. The afternoon drive at this time of year also keeps you out till after Sunset and it's cold again then.
Despite this we liked the season enough to be going back at similar time next trip. But you will need to pack gloves, scarf, hat and lots of layers. Thick warm blankets are provided too in the landrovers.
An advantage is lack of insects and snakes being in hibernation.
Kavey

Search this Thread