Last Minute Trip to South Africa (ie. This Month!)

Mar 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Last Minute Trip to South Africa (ie. This Month!)

I'm trying to plan a trip to South Africa for about 3-4 weeks with a departure date at the end of this month (March 2012). I know its extremely short notice. For safety and convenience, I would like to opt for a guided tour package and needed some help.

The initerary listed by Southern Eagle Tours (http://www.southern-eagle.com/southa...t23vfwioc.html) covers all the places that we would like to see but their pricing ($8k pp) is out of our budget range ($5k pp).

Does anyone have any experience with any other local providers that can put together a quality package on such short notice and still offer reasonable rates?
Mar 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM

The link doesn't work. What's your itinerary?

$5000 pp for 3 weeks is tough, esp with air to Zim/Zam. We did a self drive, almost all on safari in S Africa, with no high end camps and some national parks last year for that. Doable if you spend time in Cape Town and Vic Falls to keep costs down, but still difficult.

We need more details in order to assist.
Mar 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

The below link should work:
http://www.southern-eagle.com/southa...t23vfwioc.html
Mar 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

It would take me three different trips to do all that!! Too much travel, and not enough quality. Pick two of the regions plus Cape Town so you can experience it, not just drive through. The private game reserve in Kruger is not what I would choose.

I would contact wild-wings.co.za. They might be able to put something together for you. Get back, and we'll let you know what we think!
Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM

For flights to Livingstone, Zambia to see Victoria Falls, check out 1 time airline. The flights from Johannesburg are under 100$!
Mar 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM

I agree with Christabir - too much moving around. While the tour includes stops at some great places, it spends a very short time at each place - 1.5 days in Kruger for example.
This itinerary would leave me very frustrated - I would not be staying at any one place long enough to enjoy it. You need to decide what your priorities are - safari, hiking, Vic Falls etc - and then pick an itinerary to match. The "private game reserve/private game lodge" makes me nervous - I would want details. Didima and Hilltop Camps are both great. CR
Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM

canadian_robin - in the fine print it says:

We make use of a number of smaller and more intimate game lodges in one of the private game reserves that lie directly west of the Kruger National Park. The specific game lodge used will depend on availability, but should be one of the following: Serondella Game Lodge, Monwana Game Lodge, Waterbuck Game Lodge, Jackalberry Game Lodge, Chapungu Luxury Tented Lodge, Kapama River Lodge, Kapama Buffalo Camp or Gomo Gomo Game Lodge

A few of them are great, but others are in fenced camps with upwards of 100 beds. I would not be happy with that.
Mar 4th, 2012, 12:09 AM

Ah - missed that! I wouldn't be happy with >100 beds either. At the very least then Smartkid, I would specify what size of camp/lodge (in terms of the # of people/rooms) you are willing to tolerate!

Search this Thread