Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Last minute questions before travel to Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/last-minute-questions-before-travel-to-egypt-405690/)

Gilberto Mar 2nd, 2004 05:53 AM

Last minute questions before travel to Egypt

I print the Fodor's Miniguide for my travel to Egypt starting on March 6 with Globus. I do not ask for transfer form airport to hotel. Are the Taxis, Limousine and tipping recommendations updated in the Fodor's guide? Any idea of who much is reasonable to pay form Airport to Mena House hotel? What about tipping and clothing needed on the Boat and on the shore excursions?

Thanks for any last minute advice that you can give.

Kavey Mar 2nd, 2004 06:50 AM

For taxi prices I often email my hotel in advance and ask them what I can expect the fare to be and how long the journey will take given my arrival time (so I have an idea if I'm being driven all around the houses on a metered cab to push the price up).

When I get in the cab I sometimes mention to the driver as though in passing, that I was originally going to book a car to meet me but spoke to my hotel about taxi prices and decided it would be cheaper to take a regular taxi.

sandi Mar 2nd, 2004 11:27 AM

There was a post not too long ago, that someone paid 40LE from airport to their hotel though I don't recall whether it was in Giza (Mena House) or on the Cairo side of the Nile. That price is a little less than USD$10.

May I ask, how come Globus doesn't handle your transfer, or why you didn't take their transfer? It is rather hectic when you depart the terminal with the taxi drivers all trying to get your business.

As to clothing on the Nile Cruise boat, what are you referring to? You wear your own clothing. If referring to the Galabeya Party that the boat has one evening - then you can pick up a galabeya (or something Egyptians) at one of the stops along the Nile - average price about $4-7 and it's new, yours, and not worn by someone previously.

Otherwise, you wear whatever clothing you're taking with you. Slacks and t-shirts or short sleeve shirts work well when touring in Cairo and Luxor and Aswan and Abu Simbel. Shorts can be worn on the boat while cruising (also swimsuits) and when visiting the Valley of Kings & Queens (it's real hot there). Otherwise, avoid shorts and abbreviated tops, definitely in Cairo.

As to tipping, I'm sure Globus provided information for tipping of the boat crew. We tipped $15/day per couple (assuming you're traveling with another person) to cover the boat's waiters, maids, maitre d, porters. For our guide, we tipped between $5-$7/day per person.

Gilberto Mar 3rd, 2004 01:13 AM

Thank you both Kavey and Sandi for your replies. Regarding Globus transfer, as I make my own flight reservations (Frequent Flyer Miles)then I will have to pay for the transfers (around $25 each. We are a party of four). The Globus transfer is free when you book fligths with them. As to clothing, I was thinking more about female dressing while on shore excursions in Abu Simbel, Luxor or Karnak. Regarding tipping, I'm talking on the daily basis type like on restaurants, porters, Taxi drivers, etc.

Sandi: I'm talking with me the little map you e-mailed me of the place where you bought the Papyrus.

Thanks to all of the information and experience you both provide through this site, I'm prepare to enjoy the vacation of my life. I will post my experiences on my return.

Thanks again.

DavePitt Mar 3rd, 2004 05:21 AM

Definitely ask Globus for a transfer! Don't know where you are coming from, but you'll be tired and its nice to have that little sign with your name on it outside of customs! Also, Egyptian drivers are the worst (don't use headlights at night for some reason), wear your seatbelt. Also, the pool at the Mena House is fabulous for those 100degree afternoons. I have fond memories of wading in the shallow end with a cool drink while gazing at the pyramids over the palm trees! Ya gotta try it...oh, and say hello to Ota, the friendly house cat at the Mena House (if she's still around!).

gail Mar 3rd, 2004 01:30 PM

Agree with above - pay for the transfers. When our Globus person met us they were also able to expedite our visa/passport paperwork and we were quickly on our way - having at that point been awake for over 24 hours it was well worth it.

We heard that driving with headlights on is supposed to be a sign of being fearful and not masculine.

pani Mar 4th, 2004 03:05 AM

Think we paid about 45 Egyptian Pounds [about US$ 7 or 8?] last month for a "limousine" from the airport to the Marriot - which must be two thirds the distance to the Mena House.