Laptop Connection/Internet

Jun 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Laptop Connection/Internet

I am moving to South Africa in July for a year. I just made my first laptop purchase and want to make sure it will work there with no problem. Can anyone give me specifics on what I need? Do I need an adapter for the phone line or just an electrical adapter? Also, do I need a speacial adapter since it is for a computer or just a regular one? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Jun 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Many laptops are dual voltage these days. That is, they can run on 220 Volt 50 Hertz or 110 Volt 60 Hertz electrical supplies. You would need to check if your laptop is one of them. If so, all you will need, as far as I can tell, are an adapter plug so you can plug your laptop into a South African wall socket (electrical outlet) and a modem adapter so you can plug it into a South African telephone jack.

This website provides comprehensive information about using computers and laptops in different countries:

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/modem.htm
Jun 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

That's very helpful - thanks very much!
Jun 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM

See http://kropla.com/electric2.htm for a plug guide. Except that the standard S.A. 3-pin plug is not as bulky as shown in the drawing. It is the same size as the UK 3-pin, but with round not rectangular pins. (It's the "original" UK design, a legacy of colonial days!) Adaptors are commonly available.

You probably won't need an adaptor for the phone line, depending on how old the house or installation is. The small "U.S." plug (about 1 sq cm and 1/2 a cm in depth) is now very common, and is what is supplied with/for S.A.-sourced computers. The old S.A. phone jack is much larger, with three large pins. But again, adaptors are common.

Search this Thread