Lamu Budget Aaccomodation

Mar 28th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Lamu Budget Aaccomodation

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for budget accomodation on Lamu Island? specifically Shela Island..I know its a long shot!
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Hi Jenmic,

Depends on what you consider “budget”. There is lots of budget accommodation in Lamu Town. Shela (same island) is a bit more difficult. I think Stopover Guest House is reasonably priced, but I can’t find any contact information. You’d probably have to book through Lamu Homes. I just found out that they have a new website http://www.lamuhomes.com/index.htm Though I’d say some hotels under “budget/simple” – like Jannat, Stone Hose, Sunsail and Diamond Village aren’t inexpensive at all. I’ve stayed at Yumbe House in Lamu Town and it was 1100 shillings for a single- I thoroughly recommend it. There are cheaper places, like Pole Pole that looked really nice but not all rooms there have a bathroom. The phone number to Pole Pole is in the Bradt guide and I have the number to Yumbe. I’ve got a brochure from Stopover, but there’s a Lamu Homes sticker over the contact info. I destroyed my nails and the brochure trying to remove the sticker.

Search this Thread