Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Lalibela (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/lalibela-522909/)

laguna92688 Apr 20th, 2005 08:05 PM

Lalibela

Has anyone visited this game reserve near PE?

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 21st, 2005 08:07 AM

Hi laguna92688,

Be aware that this game farm is no great shakes as far as I am concerned. It takes long rides to see the game on the farm and there is much more game on a farm like Schotia as an example. Accommodation is also very average in my opinion.

I want to make it quite clear that what I am going to say right now is hearsay. What really concerns me is that I suspect, I repeat suspect, that the owner of the farm is involved in hunting operations in the nothern parts of SA and I was told (cannot verify) that hunting even takes place on Lalibela.

They say where there is smoke there is fire and because of all of the above Lalibela simply does not get support from me. I know of another tour operator who feels similarly.

I stress once again that I have just heard about all of the hunting story through the grapevine so heres another task for "Roccco the sleuth" to tackle. :)

Just my twopence worth.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

laguna92688 Apr 21st, 2005 01:41 PM

Hi Selwyn,
The reason I'm staying there is because they seem to have a decent kids program and it was very reasonable-R3500 for 3 nights per adult.
I've been to other places in Kruger and Zambia which I'm sure are a little bit more authentic and you may see more but this place seemed good for kids.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 21st, 2005 02:17 PM

Laguna,

Please go read the thread Family Holiday in SA which MandyJ started up. In this thread you might see why I suggest that you should rather stay at Schotia and do the Addo and Schotia safari experience over 2 nights. Your children will be most welcome and they will have a wonderful time. Prices are excellent too.

Btw when I did a recognisance of Lalibela I saw absolutely nothing revolving around a childrens programme although I see they have one on their website. Maybe things have changed since I was last there a year ago.

Anyway its all up to you.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

colind Apr 21st, 2005 05:56 PM

There is no hunting at Lailbella and they have a great children’s program.

Schotia is also a good option I think it depends on the age of your children and if they are interested in seeing the Game.

If they are not so keen the children’s program at Lailbella is the best option

Definitely visit the Addo National Park.

Darlington Lake Lodge within the National Park is also great for children and a lot less expensive, they have Rhinos and the Buffalo that have been taken out of the lions way right next to the lake.

laguna92688 Apr 21st, 2005 06:06 PM

My daughter is 5. So quite young and the program at Lalibela looked good in terms of activities they plan.

colind Apr 22nd, 2005 02:52 AM

Sounds like Laibela would be ideal you have a chance to see the animals without distraction.

I went with family and friends to Darlinton at Easter with children ranging from 3 to 11 and it was also great.

Maybe you have time to do both.

laguna92688 Apr 22nd, 2005 07:48 AM

Thanks Colin.
Unfortunately we are on a very tight schedule-4 nights in CT, 3 in Lalibela and 1 in JNB to take her to see the lion park and gold reef city.

mandyj Apr 22nd, 2005 08:00 AM

Jaci's in Madikwe is said to be very child friendly and you could go there from JNB, though it's about 4 hours drive. We're hoping to do that in October.