Private dinners in the bush? Or "tent" service? - Jao, King's Pool, Singita

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be at Jao, King's Pool and Singita in September. We're looking forward to dinners in the boma, but also wonder if one or two private dinners either in the bush or in our room would be nice. Our only hesitation is that our time is limited in each location (2-3 nights) so we don't want to miss out on the group boma dinners.

Does anyone have any experience with private dinners at these lodges? How was it? And how far in advance did you have to plan ahead?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM

i can only address this in general terms as we stayed in different lodges. each lodge was for two nights, and we always had one private dinner booked. in one camp we were allocated our own private wing of the public space (we were the only guests so it didn't much matter anyway); in another it was on our deck alone with the hyenas and baboons (and termites!); in a third it was lunch in our room which is still such a great great memory. it is sp rare to be in such a special place and then to get it all to yourselves...
definitely a must-do imho. i arranged all three upon arrival - in factt, the staff suggested the lunch and i think it was a great idea. all three were outstanding memories. as much as we liked dining with everyone else and discussing the day's events, we found the private "treatment" so special that i would not hesitate to suggest you dine privately everywhere you go if you can!

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:18 AM

You can always put in a request for private dinners only in those places where you have three nights and ask them to schedule so that you are able to enjoy one regular dinner with companions, one boma dinner (if they are doing one while you are there) and one private dinner (options to be discussed).

You can also contact those camps where you have only two nights and say that IF they are doing a boma night already then you'll stick with one regular dinner and one boma night but that if they are not doing a boma dinner while you are there, could they schedule you for one private dinner (options to be discussed).

By boma dinner I mean any dinner outside the normal dining area, usually out in bush or in boma near camp.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM

PS We were also only guests in one camp one night and neither of us twigged why our guide was noncomittal when we asked if he was joining us for dinner that night (he'd been off duty the previous evening). When we got back to camp we were lead to our tent and a private table had been set up just outside with lots of lanterns all around. Dinner was served to us there. Very sweet.

Some camps do have special areas reserved for private dinners (Mombo has one that I haven't noticed in use during my two visits) and others may choose to set up the private dining table at your tent or in another part of the camp (such as by the pool). Either way it's a lovely experience.

We also had a private dinner at Wolwedans one night which was even more special as we'd been upgraded to the Suite for our stay.

I wouldn't want to do these at every camp just because we opt for small camps anyway and sharing the meal with a handful of others is something we enjoy but it's a lovely and romantic thing to do on occasion.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Kavey- When, oh when, will I get to read about Botswana and Namibia from last year? How long must I wait???? Please?