Search

Ladies, Fashion Alert!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies, Fashion Alert!!

OK, ok, given the current political situations, gorilla slaughters, etc., you'd think I'd have more important things to post here than news about nice-looking safari pants. But sorry, I've read enough appeals for information about said clothes to know there's interest, so the rest of you will have to forgive me.

Anyway, all you women out there who don't care to wear the old style of elastic waist pants should hurry into Old Navy or, better yet, log onto oldnavy.com. They have a wonderful lightweight, 100% cotton, low waisted (not teen low - you can bend over without worrying), drawstring pant that ties up to convert to capris. The waist is a soft elastic that stays flat on the hips and the pants fit/look great - nice enough to wear anytime. In the store they retail for $29.50 but I just discovered that they're only $20 online! Sizes XS-XXL, style #457215. And, no, I do not work for Old Navy. I'm just glad that I can look good for those elephants. Enjoy!
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Since I'm not a big shorts wearer, I really like these tie-up capris for travel.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:45 PM

The eles appreciate it.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. My safari clothes are all from Gap and Old Navy; fyi, Old Navy sizing runs big. Before I moved into a place with a washer and dryer, my safari clothes doubled as my laundromat outfits. Not the hat, though.

The end of your post calls to mind some lyrics from a song I've always loved:

The elephants are so ashamed of their size
Hosing them down I tell them "You got pretty eyes."
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Loved the lyric. So, now that you've mentioned it, do you have any recommendations on hats, particularly for those of us who don't tolerate humidity (as in, sweat profusely and can't imagine wearing a hat all day that will make us even hotter.) I've never worn a hat in my entire life, just sunscreen, but I know I have to get one for Africa, with strap and brim. Should I head for REI? Got other places to suggest? Are there lightweight, breathable materials and nice styles (for the elephants, of course)?
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM

A word of advice aknards~no matter what you do, or think how attractive it is...DON'T get one of those hats with the mosquito screen attached that wraps around your head like one of those things to keep bees off food at picnics. The elles WILL laugh!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM

they ARE nice looking! We don't leave for months yet, but I have been wondering what to wear. I don't want to buy some ugly convertible pants that I will never wear again, and the whole safari look does nothing for me. I won't wear bright colors (I don't anyway) but I am of the school that thinks a few pastels in the vehicle can't be the end of the world - the animals won't care. So, the gray pants might be perfect, with a cute t.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I'm partial to Tilley hats, but they are a bit "spendy". They do have one where the upper part of the hat is mesh, style TM10. You can see it online at www.tilley.com. My local AAA office also carries them, as do some of the outdoor stores; don't know about REI, though. I think Tilley also has a style where just a band at the top of the hat is mesh. Tilley also carries fast-drying underwear and socks.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM

here is a thread on hats:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34818420

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Momliz, did you try on the pants or just look at them online? They really do fit and look great - much better than the photo. Thanks for the hat link. (You, too, ShayTay. You know I'm hot on those quick dry undies...)
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the alert, aknards! I just ordered a couple to try, in different colors. Africa-here I come! I hope they fit, Kym
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM

I just ordered some, too. I'll be on the lookout for other women in these Old Navy pants; it might just be a perfect way to recognize other Fodorites!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I am a lemming as well - I ordered them in khaki and brown. I'm not a big fan of Old Navy, but for $20/ea, I figured what the heck. They are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so I'll report back - I believe they're returnable to a store if they don't work out. Thanks aknards for the tip!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow, girls, you're so good for my ego. I'm really feeling the power...
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM

I tried on the pants and loved the fabric, however at 5'4 I would have had to get them hemmed and I can never bother with that. Great pants for taller women.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM

How do they wash? Do they come out looking like a crunshed up mess or resonable?
J
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Mine came last night and I think I like them...I need to try them on again but the waist fit a little weird on me - when I bent over or sat down they seemed to slip very low in back! Maybe I'm just not used to elastic-waist pants or I just need to tighten the drawstring a little, but they didn't seem too big otherwise, just low. The tip on running big was right on, I am normally a size 2-4 but bought the XS (0-2) and they're definitely not too small. I do really like the way they tie up and the fabric is nice.

Lynnie, that's interesting about the length on the pair you tried - I was pleasantly surprised that I don't have to get mine hemmed when let down to pant length (I am 5'1&quot.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Ran down to the local Old Navy store durning my lunch and tried a pair on before ordering online. I am a hippy gal - size 18 and they are too low for my comfort. When I will be sitting in the Land Rover for hours do not think it will be comfey for me. I don't know how I wore those hip huggers in the 60's!

SD
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM

About hats, I got mine from REI. I went for a bucket type hat in lightweight nylon, as I too never wear hats and hate the army/safari look. Also consider do-rags or bandanas in cute colors. I also shopped for quick dry capris/pants online at REI, and I thought they all looked like granny pants. Then I went into the store to try some on anyway, and I was pleasantly surprised to find many stylish and cute varieties. I recommend going straight to the store.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM

For all of you stylish ladies. You will look great on the outside, but the best tip I got from a Forodite before our trip was to bring sports bras. They will make you very happy you did.

Sorry no special advice for the guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -