Ladies--comfy shoes for Egypt??!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ladies, I swear a size 10 shoes, so its already hard to find shoes my size, let alone comfy ones.

I dont want painful feet to spoil my time travelling, as they often do. Ive looked at Dr Scholls.com, but I want your suggestions too.

I am 21 years old, so nothing too frumpy please. I just want suggestions of what shoes are comfortable. I also have high arches so arch support is important for me.

Also, is it unwise to wear sandals when walking the streets of Cairo? Do people's feet get stepped on alot, is it too dirty, etc? I think Egyptians wear sandals a lot though. I am thinking sandals because I feel that enclosed shoes will be too warm for my feet.

But any suggestion of brands is good. THANKS!

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
You might check these out - http://www.chacousa.com/products/Pro...ting.cfm?cID=3
I haven’t been to Egypt yet but I've worn these sandals everywhere for hiking, walking, the beach (including in the water) and whatever. I’ve seen a number of other people wearing them – men and women. Several colors and styles to choose from.

They are very comfortable, they have an arch and the straps you see is really just one strap that runs through the sole and you can adjust every place it crosses your foot. The company recommends that you wash them in the washing machine and they do repairs – including the straps and footbed.

Other than my hiking boots (and I can't wear those with skirts - well I can but my kids won't let me!), this is the only pair of comfortable shoes I have found for miles and miles of walking.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM
Ag3046

Clarks's make incredibly comfortable sandals that come in a very wide range of sized. Try Nordstrom's (www.nordstrom.com) or Zappos (www.zappos.com) to see what's available. Sandals are fine. Just make sure that you have worn them in a bit, as you always end up doing more walking than you think. Bring some rubbing alchol and bandaids for blisters, and wash/soak your feet before bed and you'll feel fine. Personally, I prefer a slip-on, thong style so I can easily remove my sandals to enter mosques, etc.

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM

I think this was discussed on this site in the last 6 weeks. Run "sandals" and see what you get.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM

Try Shoebuy.com, Zappos.com and ShoeMall.com. They all carry a ton of larger sizes and made by all kinds of manufacturer's so not frumpy at all. Zappos' seems to have the fastest shipping depending on your time factor because of course, once you get the shoes they may not be the right fit exactly. I have found that more and more stores carry 10's but beyond that, almost impossible. Anyway, give them a try. Good luck.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Ever since ag3046 mentioned zappos.com Im addicted. What a great site!! So many search tools!

Im consdiering buying online some sandals I encountered today by a little-known brand: Natural Sport. Here it is:

http://www.famousfootwear.com/produc...ant%5Fid=25387

Am debating on cement or navy colored. Cement color may get dirtier looking faster.

I am also trying to get a feminine looking Birkenstock. They have great arch support which is impossible to find.

Sigh...decisions, decisions....
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:12 AM

I wore sturdy sandals thru much of Egypt - yes, your feet do get dirty. No one stepped on my feet. Just make sure you put sunblock on your feet as they will get burned.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I live in Egypt and wear tennis shoes almost exclusively (except for work!) Reason: the first week I was here, I wore sandals one evening and cut my toe on a jagged pipe that was jutting about four inches out of the sidewalk. The pavement is just too uneven and unfamiliar (not to mention too dirty) for me to feel comfortable in sandals.