Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   La Residence in Franschhoek (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/la-residence-in-franschhoek-460807/)

Ericka Jul 19th, 2004 05:24 AM

La Residence in Franschhoek

I've been reading the various posts about the SA Winelands and have "gotten the bug". Can any of you tell me about La Residence? Travel & Leisure had a great article about them and we would consider tacking on a side trip to Cape Town (from Jburg) just for the wineland and Franschhoek experience.

Kavey Jul 19th, 2004 06:52 AM

I can't find their website. Do you know it?

Are they based in Franschhoek or somewhere in the countryside surrounding the town?

Are you planning to eat in their restaurant or in town in one of the many superb Franschhoek restaurants?

Do you have a particular budget for the accommodation per night? Might help with other suggestions should you want any?

Ericka Jul 19th, 2004 08:12 AM

Hi Kavey,
Their site is at http://www.laresidence.co.za/pages/intro.php

They are supposed to be the new "lux" accomodation in the area. The Web site makes it sound as if you can only rent the entire villa exclusively for yourself, but when I spoke to them, they now make individual rooms available like a hotel.

Yes, they are expensive (probably much more than others in the area), but we really like the decor and area, as described.

And we would definitely eat at some of the better restaurants in Franschhoek, but we would probably only allow a night or two as we would be trying to work this into a Singita and Jao itinierary (which are way the other direction) and we are on limited time.

ArthurSA Jul 19th, 2004 08:12 AM

www.laresidence.co.za

I can?t comment, except to say whew, it?s mighty expensive!!!

ArthurSA Jul 19th, 2004 08:15 AM

Looks as if we published almost simultaneously! I had tried about 10-15 mins earlier, but there seemed to be a router or a Fodors website problem.

Kavey Jul 19th, 2004 08:18 AM

It IS mighty expensive... I know there are other high-end options often recommended here such as Cathbery Country Inn and so on, have you also looked into those?

Your itinerary sounds like it includes a LOT of travelling.

We went to Jacana (a sister camp to Jao but with standard rather than luxurious accommodation). We loved the setting (we passed Jao a few times whilst out on the boats) and when the floods are in the area is just magical. We met many Jao visitors and were surprised how many didn't really take to the water activities and instead spent their time on game drives (which meant a long boat trip off towards Tubu Tree to land). I wondered why they didn't just book at a LAND camp instead of a water camp. One couple we met didn't do a SINGLE mokoro trip!!!

Ericka Jul 19th, 2004 09:15 AM

No Mokoros - what a crime!

Yes, we are still working out the kinks of our "overtraveled" itinerary. The problem is, just when we think we've got it all down, someone else offers up "you must do this" and it all sounds so awesome! We'll figure it out and probably end up eliminating something.

By the way, the rates I was recently quoted for La Residence as a "hotel" (not private rental) are in the $600-700 range. Compared to Singita, that sounds pretty cheap! :-)

Kavey Jul 19th, 2004 11:16 AM

Prices for somewhere like the Cathbert Country Inn are more like 1000 Rand (about $165) per night.

At Résidence Klein Oliphants Hoek it's less than that even for a luxury suite.

At Le Quartier Francais, a relais and chateaux listed property, prices are between 2300 and 4500 Rand and often include dinner as well as breakfast. That's about the price of La Residence but we're talking about their luxurious suites when we get to the higher price and they seem to be rather grand.

Not that I'm trying to put you off La Residence in the slightest. Just thought if you've got such a nice budget to play with that you might like to know some of the other options.

:D

Kavey Jul 19th, 2004 11:21 AM

La Petite Ferme also have accommodation available. Can't find their website for some reason...

Ericka Jul 19th, 2004 12:19 PM

Thanks Kavey. I'll look into that.

Kavey Jul 20th, 2004 02:36 AM

This recent article says great things about La Residence as well as other options:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/invo...82565B5BB4E635

Roccco Aug 7th, 2004 02:05 AM

Am I missing something here? I went to La Residence's website and it seems like there is a sliding scale.

If all five suites are occupied it is 25,000 Rand, so I am figuring that it is 5,000 Rand per room (about $800 per night!). However, if only one suite is occupied, it is 15,000 Rand, or a cool $2,350 USD per night.

This place looks worth a try for about $625 USD per night, but I wouldn't want to drop more than $1,250 USD for a 2 night stay in the Winelands. So far, Le Quartier Francais looks like a much better option, although obviously not as exclusive as La Residence.

Ericka Aug 8th, 2004 05:20 AM

Roccco,
The rates posted on their Web site are not entirely accurate - they are based on renting the entire villa. If you are willing to "share" the property with others, you can get in for $600. You need to email them to get the details for this, though. They don't publish it.

DebbiMeadows Aug 13th, 2004 11:34 PM

la residance is great, but I was in Franschoek last week and my two choices there would be la Couronne or the gorgeous Akademie Street Guest houses!

hdr Aug 23rd, 2004 11:33 AM

I wanted to stay at La Couronne but my travel agent said it was a bit tired and that Le Quartier Francais was much better...any thoughts.

Trisha1 Aug 25th, 2004 10:48 AM

We spent 2 nights at Le Quartier Francais in April, 2004. The landscaping was overgrown and not at all pruned properly. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was very dark. There was no reading light and the room seemed to need redecorating.

The food was fine, but the tables are tiny and once again, it did not seem as reported. Our meal at L'Haute Cabriere the next night was fabuluous.

Le Quartier is supposedly a Relais & Chateau property which means the property has a lot of charm as well as amazing service and amenities. I would not go here again or recommend it to anyone else until they upgrade the property and make certain that the guests are the priority, not their reputation of the past.