La Mamounia or Palasis Rhoul

Jul 28th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Gay Maloney

La Mamounia or Palasis Rhoul

Which is the nicest place. Conte Nest favors Mamounia. Pictures from Palasis Rhoul look nicer.

Jul 31st, 2002, 05:28 PM
Nancy

I stayed at La Mamounia several years ago and it was wonderful. If I were to return, I wouldn't consider any other hotel.

Aug 1st, 2002, 02:27 AM
Joelle

Both places are very different: small at Palais Rhoul, maybe more intimate but a bit far away, while La Mamounia is a big hotel (270 rooms) in the old Palace style.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Sarabeth

We just got back from our trip (France and Morocco). Morocco was wonderful. In Fes we stayed at Palais Jamai, which was a beautiful hotel. I would certainly recommend it. In Marrakech, we had a hard time deciding between Mamounia and La Maison Arabe. We chose the latter...and were SO glad we did. It is such a jewel of a place hidden away, but in an interesting and accessible area. We did visit Mamounia and were even more happy with our decision. Even though it is beautiful, Mamounia is SO big...email if you would like some more information....it was a wonderful trip

Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:36 PM
K

Sarabeth, it sounds like you had a great trip. We're in the process putting together our own trip for next spring. Did you do a trip report? Any other hotel or restaurant recommendations? Any other thoughts on Palais Jamai? We're trying to decide between it and La Maison Bleue. The other big hotel issue is between La Maison Arabe and Villa des Orangers. Did you go to Essaouira? Thanks.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Sarabeth

Hi K,
If you email me with your address I would be more than happy to give you details...I have not done a trip report since we just got home. Once I get into my Morocco folder, I will name some places...as far as lodging...I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Palais Jamai again..the location is good, right at the Medina. Maison Bleu was closed when we were there. In Morocco, I would choose a Ryiad, for sure over Mamounia. Our first choice, Ryiad Enija, was closed or we would have stayed there. We were SO happy with La Maison Arabe..it's a gorgeous place and everyone is so nice. Mamounia is pretty, for sure, but we wanted the smaller experience...plus you have less 'guides' waiting to pounce on you.
We ate at a great restaurant with our guide..I have the name which I will post in the next day or so. If you need a guide, I would highly recommend the one we had. He was recommended by someone else who used him and posted on these boards...that's what's so great about these boards...
so, for how long are your going? Morocco is such an interesting country....so different, exotic, yet a combination of old and new. I loved it...

Aug 4th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Phil

Re Mamounia vs Palais Rhoul: Mamounia is certainly a world class hotel..Churchill's hangout and all that...and, it's walking distance to Jemaa el Fna, the central square in marrakech. Palais Rhoul is not in Marrakech, it's actually on the road to Fes, but I heard from someone that it was "the most romantic place he ever saw". If you want another choice, check out La Maison Arabe, a small riad in the heart of Marrakech, very intimate, but very classy.

Search this Thread