KwaZulu Natal

Jun 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

KwaZulu Natal

We only have 4 or 5 days to travel from Durban to Jo'Burg but want to see the Battle fields and Drakensberg. We are thinking of staying at Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse and Babannago Valley Lodge 2 nights each.From there to Jo'Burg airport.
What route would we take? Are the roads good and is it safe.?
Any other suggestions welcome we will have been to Kurger earlier.
Jun 12th, 2005, 04:53 AM

I don't know the route but I suggest you search on Ananzi if no one comes up with an answer

www.ananzi.co.za

Very good as you get local South African websites that you might not normaly find
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM

I think Ananzi is the most popular local search engine, but the African option of Aardvark (www.aardvark.co.za) is in my experience much, much better.

Although as it uses Google in some way, I don't know how different Aardvark is from the "pages from South Africa" option of the new S.A. version of Google, www.google.co.za. If there is a difference in hits, it might be that Aardvark's African option (its default) is Africa not only S.A.
Jun 15th, 2005, 03:18 AM

It's a bit of a convoluted route but quite doable. Both areas you're going to are really beautiful. The Durban-Drakensberg stretch will go very quickly because you'll be traveling highway except for the last 35km, according to the map on the hotel's website. However if you have time, look on a map for the 'old' road running parallel to the N3 highway and take it, say, from Howick to Mooi River. It's quite a winding road but really pretty, and it winds through several picturesque towns, such as Nottingham Road.

If you're worried about safety then take the N3 highway from where you're staying in the Drakensberg to Ladysmith, and then go from there to your destination via Dundee. The other alternative is directly through Zululand, and while the roads are certainly in good condition and quite safe, they're also relatively quiet... but then again, they'll be more scenic than the highway.

Have a good trip!

Search this Thread