KwaZulu-Natal

Apr 25th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

KwaZulu-Natal

We have changed our South African plans, now, deciding to spend the 1st week in the KwaZulu-Natal area. We are thinking of renting a car at the Jo'berg airport and driving to St. Lucia. I was wondering anyone was familiar with this area, and how far a drive it is, and if we need to break up the drive 1/2 way and where. We would then drop off the car at either Durban or Richards Bay airport and fly to Port Elizabeth. Any recommendations on where to stay? - we were thinking of St. Lucia.
Apr 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM

According to the results of a Google search, St. Lucia is a 6 hour drive from Johannesburg. I don't recommend you do it after disembarking from your plane from overseas, because you'll have had a long flight.

I recommend you overnight in Johannesburg, and drive the next day or, alternatively, change planes in Johannesburg, and immediately fly on to Durban.

It would be nice to visit Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game reserve on the way from Johannesburg to St. Lucia.

But, once you're into the KwaZulu-Natal game reserves in December, you're in malaria country, and have to take anti-malarial medication, which was a concern you'd raised in a previous post.

If you've reconciled yourselves to anti-malarial medication, I would recommend you visit Kruger National Park (or one of neighbouring game reserves) in Mpumalanga, east of Johannesburg.

The drive from Johannesburg to the Kruger National Park area then through Swaziland and KwaZulu-Natal to Durban would be a very nice way of using up a week.
Apr 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hi Puma
I haven't been yet but have decided to combine Hluwhluwe-Umfolozi, St Lucia, Ndumo and Ithala for my tour of KZN this May and June.
I can't give any information based on experience but I have done some research on accommodation etc and if I can help any I'd be happy to.
Kavey

Search this Thread