Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kwara......question??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kwara-question-592916/)

santharamhari Feb 20th, 2006 08:02 PM

Kwara......question???

Johan or anyone else,

Hi! Chitabe seems more or less booked up and my travel agent feels, it is a long shot.....we have to wait for cancellations (for the 3rd night)......i feel 3 nights in the delta is the way to go.....

In terms of serious game viewing, what is my next best option? Kwara? The new Kwara island camp will be open by then......how would the game viewing be at Kwara end August/early sept compared to Chitabe......i guess no dogs, but cheetah???

What are my other options? predetors especially.......

Thanks
Hari

mv Feb 20th, 2006 11:04 PM

Hari

Kwara end of August will be very nice.
Probably a lot of water but that is forcing the prey and predators into smaller areas.
You will see a lot of Lions and will have a good chance of seeing dogs, Leopard and Cheetah. During my two trips to Kwara I have seen a male, female with cubs and a pregnant Cheetah.
They also have a coalition of 3 Males that are seen regularly.
I have good Leopard sightings and James from Eyes of Africa according to his web page puts it as a very good camp for Leopard. They do have dogs denning at Kwara but the pack is not very large
Michael

santharamhari Feb 21st, 2006 12:12 AM

Thanks Michael,

Yes, i have the new Kwara island camp as a backup, just in case Chitabe doesnt come through....

Kwara Island will only be completed end April.......however, i think they have me provisionally booked at the moment.

So, with high flood levels, i still have access to some of the land areas??? That should be the case with Lebala/lagoon also?

With Kwara, yes, they have lots of lions...which can even be seen easily during the rains....

Thanks
Hari

mv Feb 21st, 2006 12:58 AM

Hari

I was at Kwara in August 2004 during the very high floods.
Lots of land was available for driving.
A lot of the areas that you have seen will be covered in shallow water.
When I was there the water near the airstrip was all the way up to the wooden bridge. In front of camp the entire Lagoon was filled making it very scenic. Eventhough Kwara is in the delta it is a huge concession with lots of dry land. I am booked at Kwara Island in January and really look forward to it.
Lots of water at Lagoon/Lebala to but not affecting the game drives at all.
Michael

lisa Feb 21st, 2006 05:52 AM

What is this new Kwara Island camp you're talking about -- is there a website? I've only seen the regular Kwara Camp one.

santharamhari Feb 21st, 2006 06:30 AM

Thanks Michael,

Appreciate all the inputs....

Lisa,

Kwara island is a new Kwando camp in the Kwara concession. Unfortunately, no info at the moment as the camp is being constructed......however, it is a more intimate camp with 4 chalets. It is being finished in April.

johan_belgium Feb 21st, 2006 07:02 AM

Hari,

If you can't go to Chitabe than I would definitely go to Kwara like Michael said.

Greetings,

Johan

mv Feb 21st, 2006 07:34 AM

Lisa

I believe that Rocco has mentioned Kwara Island Camp in a previous thread, including the official marketing text. Do a search for Kwara Island camp here or at google.
The new camp is in a very attractive area of the Kwara concession (I saw it during my last visit)
Michael

lisa Feb 21st, 2006 02:04 PM

any info on pricing of this new camp?

jweis Feb 21st, 2006 04:08 PM

Kwara Island will no doubt be a lovely camp when complete. The mock-up images of the tents look very nice.

From a sales perspective, the new camp will be priced the same as all the Kwando Botswana properties.

James

santharamhari Feb 21st, 2006 04:40 PM

Thanks everyone........

Yes, I will more than likely have to go to Kwara Island......as i have told my travel agent to go with Kwara Island, if Chitabe doesnt clear by early next week....which is unlikely.

Especially, if i stick with Kwando for my entire trip.....perhaps i get a decent rate also....