Kwando, Wilderness Safaris and hunting...

Apr 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Kwando, Wilderness Safaris and hunting...

I received this informative response from a tour operator regarding whether or not Kwando or Wilderness Safaris allows any of their concessions to be used for hunting purposes:

Concessions are held on a lease basis and must be registered as a hunting concession if they are to be used for that. There is sometimes a very small amount hunting on some concessions - usually in remote corners, for the purposes of providing meat for the camp staff (the nearest cow is a long way away). Kwando does not allow hunting since that would reduce the quality of the game viewing.
Wilderness Safaris is a management group and the camps are usually privately owned by different people and thus policies vary from place to place. However, Wilderness is 100% committed to and very active in conservation - they have spent a lot of $$ re-introducing rhino to the Okavango. Wilderness would never be associated with a hunting concession. The money is very definitely in photo-safaris these days and it is extremely important that game viewing opportunities be maximised - this is incompatible with hunting.

--So, there you have it. Both Kwando and Wilderness Safaris are 100% committed to photographic safaris and do not flip flop on the issue like some tour operators. I will not hesitate to use either Kwando or WS in the future.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:11 AM

Just a thought... How do we reconcile the fact that Wilderness is prepared to deal with Classic Hunting Safaris and its 'nicer' sister classic Safaris and at the same time promote conservation. Should Wilderness Safaris be dealing with these kind of companies at all?

Would like to hear everyone's comment on the issue.

What about the airlines that carry the trophies of the hunters? British Airways won't carry the trophies but most US and European airlines would. Should we travel on these pro-hunt airlines?
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:45 AM
LizFrazier

King-
What do you mean about Wilderness Safaris dealing with Classic Safaris? Is is because they accept bookings from almost every other safari company, or did I miss a post that made a connection between them?
Do we really want to know that everyone accepts this situation but us? If that is the case, I think we are probably making a to-do about something just among ourselves and will end up none of us being able to go on safari again in protest. Maybe we'd better rethink this. Liz

Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:52 AM

Yes Classic Safaris deal with Wilderness Safaris and Wilderness Safaris accept their bookings.

I am not advocating we boycott Wilderness Safaris but I am asking whether it is ethical for Wilderness to deal with a hunting company while promoting conservation. Perhaps wilderness are unaware of this or perhaps they are ignoring the fact.

Sorry I couldn't quite get the gist of the point you were trying to make.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM

Another way of putting it -

If we as consumers are prepared to question the suitability of a pro-hunting tour operator then shouldn't we also be questioning the suitability of accommodation and other providers who deal with 'pro-hunting' operators.

Ok another angle to it -
Should Wilderness Safaris be alerted or questioned about dealing with a pro-hunt operator just as National Geographic has been?

On this issue is it possible to have double-standards?

Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:25 AM

Well I believe that WS sees every tourist as a chance to make another convert to the active conservation cause. They make this message prominent on their website, in their literature, in their guiding and "camp talk" and in their dealings with local communities. As such, accepting a tourist booking from Classic may allow them to make other converts, and so it is good. However, I would hope that WS would not refer or send clients to Classic or to hunting places...and I really doubt that they would.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM

A story: Cheetah Conservation Botswana is closely associated with Botswana's Mokolodi Reserve, and educational reserve near Gaborone. Mokolodi has two captive=raised male cheetah, who were orphans and unable to return to the wild. They allow tourists to visit the cheetah enclosure to "meet" and photograph these very tame cheetahs...the money raised helps support Mokolodi. The Direstor of Cheetah Conservation Botswana told me a story she witnessed when a big game hunter from Europe and his wife visited Mokolodi. The hunter had killed a cheetah a few years earlier, and was in Botswana on another hunting trip. When he met these gentle and beautiful boys, and learned more about this amazing animal, he began to cry. He promised that he would never hunt again...and that he would go back home and try to convince his hunter friends that they should not be hunting endangered animals. Every person is a potential missionary...so sending business to hunting operators is bad...but accepting business (as long as no ethical positions are compromised) and the chance to educate these people is the only chance to change things.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
LizFrazier

Hi King-
My point was that if Wilderness just accepts reservations with Classic, and knows hunting is going on in Botswana and accepts that fact, what are you going to accomplish.
Perhaps we have a tempest in a tea pot amongst ourselves, so to speak.
All the safari companies are aware of the situation, but to do business in Botswana, they must overlook it. It is government condoned (encouraged), and they camp operators must get permits every few years to extend their time there. The noisy one probably gets eliminated after a while.
The other side was if everyone boycots every camp and operator, where do we go to safari?
Not easy to understand, but I just went to the logical end of this and saw a big wall.
Personally, I choose to enjoy the country before it changes too much as Kenya did. Then I just go on to other things. If its still to hard to understand, just skip it, I guess. Liz

Search this Thread