Kwando Lebala, Lagoon in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all, still trying to find safari ideas for April/May. Anyone (especially Hari) have a feel for what Kwando Lebala and Kwando Lagoon camps would be "like" this April or May? Have they (Botswana) seen the heavy rains like in several other countries? How would you expect game viewing to be? Thanks for any suggestions.
regards - tom
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Tom,

The current word from next door Selinda is that the backcountry is already drying out and thus wildlife is moving out of the woodland and into the flood plain areas with the permanent water sources. That bodes very well for Lebala and Lagoon and I would imagine you would have a great experience there as it is always a strong area for predators and the more mobile game is already moving in.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
skimmer

Normally gameviewing shouldn't be at its best that time of year in the Kwando/Selinda/Linyanti area.

But it's so relative ...

Lebala in May 2006 offered me much more cat/dog action than September/October 2006.

In May 2006 I hardly saw any elephant at Lebala during an 8-day stay.

Normally I would go to other camps in the delta that time of year ... but your chances are almost zero to visit those ones in April/May this year.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Think I will try to call reservations on Monday. I like it that it is private property and they do game drives off road and at night. (Unlike for instance in Moremi Reserve, no off road no night). I was looking at their web site for room rates, but found zero, not even a hint. If I have to ask the rate, I can't afford it ?
regards - tom
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Tom,

I dont know for that time of the year, but I was just there a few weeks ago, and I highly recommend the camps. As it is the "green" season until the end of May, your rates should be around $500 per night, with a private vehicle around $200.

Richard
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Richard, I know, I read your excellent trip report and it prompted me to look at Kwando. Thanks again.
regards - tom
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
santharamhari

Tom,

Nothing is going to be guaranteed in terms of game viewing. But, their guides and trackers will try their best.

Availability for this May....good luck!!!

Hari

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
santharamhari

Tom,

For you...i strongly recommend a private vehicle, should you find availability. That is going to be your best guard against a full vehicle(6 ppl) in two rows. I remember your comments from the other thread last week (maybe Rocco's trip report?)

Personally, i wont mind a full vehicle. I just get a private vehicle because i want to stay at sightings for longer periods and head out early for a drive in the morning or afternoon.....also, i miss out on most sundowner stops, and i dont really care about staying out after dark(unless there is something interesting).

Hari

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Sure, I'd like a private vehicle. But given a budget (limited ) I have to make trade offs. For example, given $xxxx, is it 10 nights sharing vehicle or 7 nights private. So far in my safaris (probably 30 nights in camps) sharing has not been a big issue. The bigger issue is the guide/driver himself.
I'm going to call Kwando in about 6 hours and I'll let you know about availability there, now, for April/May. Interesting question even if nothing comes of it.
regards - tom
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Tom,
I have no idea what the game viewing will be like in April at the Botswana Sanctuary camps, but I don't believe they charge a single supplement in the low or shoulder season, so may be worth checking into.
CCAfrica also doesn't charge a single supplement.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

So, I called Kwando Camp reservations Monday morning (March 5th) and talked with a very nice lady about camp availability. (She had some difficulty hearing me and I appreciate her effort). I was inquiring about camp availability for April and into May. There is availability at Lebala, Lagoon, Kwara, and Little Kwara. She gave me specific dates but rather than list each segment, just in summary, Lebala has 12 nights open in April, Lagoon has 18 nights open in April, Kwara has 19 nights in April, and Little Kwara 19 nights in April. (I only got it for the first half of May, May seems to have less). Rates - by staying more than 5 nights there is a discount of 5% which brings it to $500 per night, for single person. This is a higher rate than I was hoping for, 14 nights would total $7,000. Right on my budget limit. And I'm hesitant to spend that much money at this time of the year in less than peak season. But, Little Kwara does sound tempting -but then again - I'm more into game drives than water activities. Someone tell me I'm mistaken if you want , I'm still open minded about it.
regards - tom
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM
santharamhari

Hi Tom,

You forgot to factor the single supplement charge to add to that $500. You got to add that into your budget.

Yes, LK is tempting......i agree!!!

Yes, they hv water activities, but, if you book a private vehicle....you can do all drives if you so wish to. That's a big concession too, just like Kwando.

But atleast one boat trip i recommend. The mekero, if you have done it during your past trip to Moremi game reserve.....then you can opt out.....

Rgds,
Hari

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:53 AM
santharamhari

If you dont want to pay the single supplement.....GO NOW!!! they dont hv the SS Dec1 thru March 31. Find a flight, make a booking.....good luck!!!

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Tom,

Your last post about Kwando properties was pretty interesting. I guess I thought you had to book through a travel agent (like Wilderness camps), and it looks like they are not charging you a single supplement in shoulder season, that would be great news to single travelers.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Not sure if I could book directly with them, I basically got info on availability and rates. Their web site has NO information in this regard. The lady did suggest I book using one of their listed USA agents because there are numerous other important arrangements such as flights into the camps.
Private vehicle? I did not ask about that rate, but IF it were another $200 per day then my daily rate would be $700. So for a budget of $7,000 I could stay 10 nights with private vehicle or 14 nights without.
regards - tom
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM

My vote would be for a private vehicle for the 10 days... nice thing about a private vehicle there is that if you are at Lagoon / Lebala in a private vehicle, than you can move back and forth as needed if there are some great sightings in the other area...
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:44 AM
santharamhari

Brandywine,

Kwando's single supplement to my knowledge is more in the region of $150-$250 depending on the season.

The private vehicle is $275...

Hari

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Hi Tom,

Did Kwando's quotes include the flights between camps... an important consideration. You'd probably use Sefofane or Moremi Air. The former is affiliated with Wilderness Safaris but probably fly to all the camps. We took Moremi into a WS camp last year. Both seem equally professional. I'd be interested in hearing if you're able to book directly with Kwando. I've been to Lagoon camp years ago... enjoyable, especially the wild dogs.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
skimmer

Normally, it's not possible to book directly with them.

If you are only visiting the Kwando camps, you use Moremi Air. I used Sefofane if I flew from a Kwando to a WS camp.

Tom, from what I read from you on Fodor's, a private vehicle will be in your best intrest. The only thing I can say, have an open mind and don't expect nothing. When at Lebala in May last year, the guides told me the weeks before I came, they didn't see that much but when I was there action was all around ... so that time of year, it's a hit or miss.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Johan, I'm still waiting on a proposal itinerary for three camps in South Africa; Madikwe Hills, Kings Camp, and Leopard Hills. These three camps seem to be under the same corporate structure(?) and have special deals going now where you stay 4 night and get one free/no cost. (Think it is 4 nights?) So, maybe I could do 15 nights (not 14) for a couple thousand $$$$ less than Kwando. I have not been to any of these camps so that part would be interesting but not sure how they would compare to my favorite South African camp you-know-who. If Kwando were below this cost (but don't know yet) I'd likely go with Kwando.
regards - tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -