http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-g7bf9g

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:12 AM
santharamhari

Johan,

Excellent pics.........thanks for sharing.....awesome!!!

The lion pride in black and white...was it the Kwara pride? I think i saw those cats.

I loved the pic of the front of lebala camp.....brings me back lots of memories. Cant wait to return in AUgust.

Thanks
Hari

Feb 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Those lion pictures were taken at Kwara.

It's actually a pity that I won't be at Lebala when you are there.

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM
santharamhari

Hi Johan,

Yes, maybe next year......we should plan a trip around the same time....

I am trying to get to sleep as i need to wake up early, but keep looking through your pics....it's addictive.....i also loved your duba plains pics on the other thread....

Ok. Good nite........

Feb 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Sleep well and I am glad you liked my pictures from Duba.

Next year will be a bit tricky because my trips to Botswana are already booked.

And for 2008 I am planning to do a big trip to Tanzania (July) and probably going back to Kwara/Lebala in December.

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
santharamhari

Never know Johan.......i am so addicted to Africa.....you may bump into me once again somewhere else, if not lebala........

Thanks
hari

Feb 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Johan -- Do you have any experience with Desert & Delta camps in the area (Xugana, Camp Moremi, Camp Okavango) or Chitabe Trails or Stanley's? Thoughts on how any of these might compare with Kwara, Lebala, & Lagoon in terms of game viewing, guiding, etc.? Pricewise they seem comparable.
Feb 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM
santharamhari

Lisa,

Kwando's standards of guiding are amongst the best in the safari business and would be hard to match......

In terms of game viewing......of your other choices, only chitabe trails could match........the Kwando properties..some of the camps you mentioned are more water centered...which makes it less on the big game experience.

Maybe Johan can share more insight...

Feb 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM

Thanks -- and what is this other Kwara Island camp you mentioned on another thread?
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:32 AM
santharamhari

Lisa,

Kwara Island.......is the new Kwando camp that is being constructed in the Kwara concession. It is a more intimate camp....with only 4 chalets. It is due for completion in APril. Kwando does not hv any info at the moment until it's completion. However, they are taking provisional bookings through the agents, even though they havent figured out the pricing as yet........

Feb 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
johan_belgium

Lisa,

I haven't been to the desert and delta camps so I can't tell you much about it. Maybe have a look at www.eyesonafrica.net. My travel agent went to Camp Okavango and Camp Moremi and he didn't liked it... Too much vehicles around and the management wasn't that great.

If you are looking for predators I think the best option is still to go to Chief's camp that time of year.

I've been once to Stanley's camp in March 2004 and gameviewing was not that spectacular but the elephant experience was very nice (you like ik or you like it not). I was at Baines in June 2005 (in the same concession than Stanley's - we saw on several occasions the vehicles from Stanley's) and the gameviewing was superb. We saw huge buffalo herds, several leopards, a coaliton of six male lions and two cheetahs. So it's actually so difficult to say if gameviewing will be fine or not ... it depends on flood levels, quality of your guide, pure luck.

I haven't been to Chitabe in December/January but it won't be that great like in wintertime.

Most of the camps won't have superb gameviewing (if you are looking for predators) that time of year so if I were you I would stick to Kwara and Lebala/Lagoon due to the excellent quality of guiding they offer and the fact that their concessions are pretty big.

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 21st, 2006, 07:11 AM

Thanks Hari & Johan. Sounds like for now we will probably stick with the idea of some combination of Kwara, Lagoon, & Lebala. I am also intrigued by the new Kwara Island Camp. In addition, I just noticed on Kwando's website something about a "Five Rivers" special which apparently allows you to combine Xaxanaka with Kwando camps -- do you know anything about that camp & do you think this might be worth looking into? I think normally it is more expensive but it sounds like the rates are reduced in combination with a certain number of nights at Kwando camps.
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:24 AM
johan_belgium

Lisa,

I will be at Kwara Island camp in May 2006. I think it will be more luxurious than the other camps from Kwando. I had to book it because Kwara was already fully booked.

Xakanaka is situated near Camp Moremi in the Moremi National Park (so no night drives or off-road driving).

Also from Kwara you can go to the heronries at Godikwe so I wouldn't take it in consideration.

Also it's better to stay a bit longer in a camp than just switching all the time from one camp to another.

Greetings,

Johan

Feb 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM

I agree that it is nicer to stay at one camp for 3 nights instead of moving around every other day -- we do prefer to settle in to a place and get to know it a bit.

I will be interested to hear what you have to say about Kwara Island when you return from there in May!

Search this Thread