Search

Ebola in Uganda

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebola in Uganda

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90364.php

I don't know if any of you have noticed this in the news, but there's been an ebola outbreak in the Gulu region of Uganda.

Do you think this is just cause to postpone/not book travel to the country?

Laura
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM

hi
from your other post i see you are planning a trip in march.

it is too early to cancel. gulu province is nowhere near where you are going to be if you are gorilla trekking.

i would keep an eye on it using the internet and make a decision much closer to departure time.

as an upscale gorilla tourist, you will have no contact with native ugandans, no rubbing shoulders with people on buses, no eating street food, or expos9ing yourself to anyone who might possibly have been in the infected area who may then be traveling to kampala, so i would say even if things have not improved, you will be quite insulated from this.

may i ask if it is not too rude- how can a student afford the private gorilla trek safari prices which were quite high, even before the $500 permit? while i was there the female college students (and the males) and the other charity workers relied on backbacker companies for all of our journeys.

kerikeri
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM

We are leaving for safari next week and have a stop over at the airport in entebbe. Should we be concerned about this stopver given the ebola concerns?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Look on a map! Gulu is far away in the north.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM

I would not cancel. Past outbreaks have not affected tourists for the reasons kerikeri indicated. I assume you are not traveling to Gulu and that you will be doing the normal safari activities.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM

i was also going to add for anyone else finding this post in the future, that it would be impossible to "accidentally" get near gulu, either, as organizations are extremely cautious about even their own people traveling to gulu and regions in the north.

do check the cdc website, though, for outbreak updates and also contact your in-country coordinator because they, too, have no interest in contracting this or other diseases.

kerikeri