Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kruger vs Okavango Delta in Mid March (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kruger-vs-okavango-delta-in-mid-march-258307/)

fluke Jan 9th, 2008 06:33 PM

Kruger vs Okavango Delta in Mid March

If you had a choice of going to either place for 4 days in mid March, which would you choose? (I will be in SA already so its probably cheaper to go to Kruger but I was also thinking of going to Vic Falls too so dont know if it would be better to go to Botswana instead)

cary999 Jan 9th, 2008 06:43 PM

I'd go to MalaMala.

regards - tom

scootr29 Jan 9th, 2008 06:54 PM

I would go to Mashatu

afrigalah Jan 9th, 2008 09:33 PM

I would go to the delta without hesitation, whether or not Vic Falls was on the itinerary. My only problem would be choosing where in the delta (or the neighbouring Linyanti region, but that wasn't in the question).

John

Abrie Jan 10th, 2008 05:48 AM

Definetaly the Okavango Delta...with Vic Falls a bonus. March is a good time for the Delta..and try to do a small plane flip over the delta from Maun

thit_cho Jan 12th, 2008 07:36 AM

<<I'd go to MalaMala.>>

How is it helpful to answer "C" if the choice is between "A" and "B"?

Doogle Jan 14th, 2008 02:56 AM

Dear Fluke

with only 4 days to go all the way to Victoria Falls and BOtswana you are going to be so rushed adn not have the time to actually enjoy the area at all.

If I were you I would look at Kruger for this trip and when you have more time, enjoy Botswana and Victoria Falls to the full instead of rushing in and out.

You can combine 2 camps in that part of the world (incase the animals are moving) You could stay in the Sabi Sands (Mala Mala, Londolozi, Sabi Sabi, Kirkmans) anyone of those will give you good game viewing and then Tanda Tula, Thornybush, Ngala, or Motswari will be a good combination for them.

fluke Jan 14th, 2008 04:09 PM

i was actually thinking of 4 days in Botswana (2 diff camps) and 2 days Vic Falls.

Does that change your advice?

Poppins Jan 14th, 2008 11:25 PM

I just spent a week in the Okavango and I can't tell you how wonderful it was. Love the Kruger, but would give my left arm to go back to the delta.

Doogle Jan 14th, 2008 11:42 PM

Hi Fluke

Yes if you have 6 days then I would do Botswana and Vic falls as you can then get a good feel for it. I am not sure of your budget but Sanctuary Lodges offers green season rates in March as does Kwando. Perhaps a combination of Stanleys/Chiefs and Kwando Lebala and then finish off with 2 nights at Vic Falls. With regards to accommodation, if on the Vic falls side Stanley and Livingstone is looking really great and if on the Zambia side then Sussi & Chuma is good value for money.

HariS Jan 15th, 2008 06:37 PM

Good luck with this year's rains .....

amolkarnik Jan 15th, 2008 11:16 PM

Ahh Hari - I see that you are back. How was the trip? whats the rain situation?

HariS Jan 16th, 2008 02:47 AM

Amol,

Will email you when i get a chance over the next few days.

Raining every day. Some heavy thundershowers, a couple of drizzly all day events. During those drizzly days, gameviewing poor. They do pop out when the sun comes out though ......

Hari