Botswana Lodges With Wheelchair Access

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know any lodges in Botswana that are more accessible to a wheelchair?
Also, for an August trip which are is preferred for this restriction. We don't think anywhere with boats or canoes would be wise.
Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Hello,

While I'm sure we'll all help as much as we can, you may want to contact the camp operators direct as they probably have experience with mobility-impaired guests. They may also be able to put measures in place (e.g. ramps) which we wouldn't be aware of unless a wheelchair user happened to be in camp at the same time we were.

Another thing you may want to ask about is the vehicles. Safari vehicles in Botswana are Land Rovers and Land Cruisers with high ground clearance, which require climbing in and out. I'm not sure what your situation is, but if climbing in and out (or staying upright without a harness or othe support) is an issue you may want to ask about these as well. The vehicles bounce a lot (due to the sandy tracks) so you would also need sufficient upper body strength to hold on -- there aren't any seatbelts.

One lodge that is supposed to be completely wheelchair accessible is MalaMala. It's in South Africa, not Botswana, but it's something to keep in mind. They have a vehicle with safety harnesses for people who have difficulty staying upright on their own.

If you want to avoid boats, you should stick to dry land camps, or camps with mixed water and land activities. This doesn't meant that you can't come to the Delta -- you just need to pick a camp with land activities. The watery environment of the Delta is beautiful, and you could enjoy that even if you didn't go on the boats.

The main operator in Botswana is Wilderness Safaris. If you get in touch with their office in Joburg, they should be able to answer your questions (unfortunately, I don't have the phone number with me right now). Their website is www.wilderness-safaris.com. If you are in the US, another option is booking through Eyes on Africa (www.eyesonafrica.net) -- I have booked through them and they are great. In addition, one of the owners used to work for Wilderness and has extensive knowledge of their camps.

Good luck finding a place which suits you.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I do know that Mala Mala has a suite for people with a wheelchair but as for Botswana I'm not sure. My recommendation would be to ask your agent.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Interesting question. I don't have any experience, but my guess is that you'd be better off at a larger lodge that can be reached by automobile than a delta camp that requires a very small plane. You may have luck at Chobe Game Lodge, which is on the Chobe River and which you drive to from Kasane. They also offer boat trips, but the boats are more like house boats and are lodge and would, I think, accommodate a wheelchair.

Michael
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of the trip will be in South Africa and we thought a few days at the end in Botswana would be great if it's possible.