Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kruger trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kruger-trip-report-356824/)

Poppins May 8th, 2008 05:46 AM

Kruger trip report

Finally the much awaited trip to the Kruger came about. While I have been a lot of times it was my partners first luxury trip - so rather exciting.

First up was Honeyguide Mantobeni. Still the best value in the kruger in my opinion. The tents are of a medium size with a large double bed under mozzie net, a sitting area with a leather couch and a David Livingstone feel. The best part is the massive sunken bath and views of the bush.

The game was very good. We saw buffalo, wittnessed an attempted kill, saw elephant, all the interesting plains game and even had an ellie drinking out of the pool at the lodge. Very down to earth and very focused on the safari feel.

Our ranger was brand new (first week) so I can't comment too much on him as he was finding his feet. Our tracker however was utterly superb.

The food here was particularly good and portions not too huge. And with drinks included, you can just help yourself if no one is arround.

We then went to Camp Jabulani in the Kapama Game Reserve to do the elephant back safari.

The rooms here are outrageously luxurious with private plunge pools, everything that opens and closes and complete privacy. My partner was blown away. He didn't want to leave the room!

The service was great, the rooms awesome, the food was excellent. As far as rooms go, these ones are great.

The elephant back safari was very good. A half hour talk about the ellies and then an hours ride through the reserve. I loved the informative talk (preferred it to the one at Stanleys/Bains Camp as it was shorter and more interactive) and it was pretty cool to be perched on top of an elephant. It is a fun and different experience.

The safari experience itself isn't my cup of tea. The reserve is completely fenced in and has a road that cuts through it. So you don't get that safari wilderness experience. So my vote here would be to stay for a night or two for the elephants and the luxury and then move on.

Then onwards to Ulusaba. This lodge is the best I have stayed at in my many many years of rating lodges. It is slick, luxurious and friendly.

The staff are casual without being blaze. Nothing is too much trouble. We asked if they has a deck of cards that we could use. They didn't, but managed to locate some somewhere for us. Incredible.

We had a private dinner in the wine cellar where they told us we could have anything and as much as we wanted and if we were still there at 4 am, they would cover us up with blankets!!! Needless to say, it was a close call!!

The rooms were more simple than most 5 star lodges, but with clean stylish lines. The pics on the Ulusaba website are missleading - there wasn't a zebra stripe visible!

Our ranger Sam (request him if you can) was outstanding. His ability to impart knowledge and to include everyone was amazing. He was fun and interesting and showed us the small game, as well as the big game, with relish.

As a South African, I thought that the spa was outrageously expensive with an hour massage costing R700, but that may be the norm for the rest of you.

The food was good, if not quite as good as Honeyguide. But I did like that lunch is served when you feel like it, and there is a menu with plenty of choices. One can get tired of being served 3 course meals all the time, so this was welcome.

So all in all a superb holiday. David was blown away - in fact so blown away that he proposed!!! So it seems it was a good investment on my part...!!

isabel25 May 8th, 2008 07:42 AM

Congratulations on your engagement! Great report -- you answered a lot of questions that I had about the accommodations at these places.

cary999 May 8th, 2008 10:39 AM

Can you explain a little about why this is about Kruger? Are these camps in Kruger National Park?

regards - tom

lisa May 8th, 2008 11:10 AM

I think they are in Sabi Sands, adjacent to but outside of Kruger, yes?

Poppins May 9th, 2008 12:01 AM

Honeyguide Mantobeni is in the Manyeleti Game Reserve which borders the Kruger (no fences)

Camp Jabulani is in the Kapama Game Reserve which is a fenced reserve bordering the Kruger

Ulusaba is in the Sabi Sands which borders the Kruger (no fences)

sniktawk May 9th, 2008 01:04 AM

Can I congratulate Carry999 on pointing out that this has nothing to do with Kruger!!!

These are private game reserves on the borders of the park. Where you pay a fortune to see the same animals that you can see in the park itself. You do not of course stay in abject luxury but you can congratulate yourself that the profits made from your visit go the wildlife preservation, and helping normal people (i.e. South Africans) view game at affordable prices.

Ulasaba has to be one of the biggest wastes of money in the world, you pay a fortune and have to share the vast majority of your game viewing with other far cheaper camps.
If you need to go posh on the Kruger outskirts at least go somewhere that has a decent sized concession such as Singita, Londolozi or Mala Mala.

Poppins May 13th, 2008 04:45 AM

Snitawk, you really are a very rude person. It can't be easy keeping that sort of attitide up on a regular basis.

Including the private reserves in the collective term "Kruger" makes is a lot easier for most people who don't have a cooking clue where Kapama or Manyeleti are. And since most of the private reserves are open to the Kruger National Park, it isn't much of a stretch.

Your personal views of game lodges is completely up to you, as mine is to me. I think Ulusaba was superb. I like Singita, Exeter, Sabi Sabi, Mala Mala, Djuma, Savanna and Kirkmans as well and have stayed at all of them. So I am sharing my educated opinion when I say that my experience at Ulusaba was the best so far.

sniktawk May 13th, 2008 05:47 AM

Why is this rude, I am merely pointing out to other readers that this is not the Kruger, but rather converted farm concessions nearby.

I am not disputing their game viweing qualities in anyway.

My comments about Ulasaba are in my opinion true and remain true for all of the smaller camps on the edges of the main concessions within the Sabi Sands area, this is why I recommended Mala Mala, Singita and Londolozi.
Obviously my opinion is only based on what I have seen with my own eyes, as is yours. The fact that we choose to differ is perfectly OK with me, I do not quite understand why you are apparently deeply offended.

napamatt May 14th, 2008 09:51 AM

Sniktawk

I guess you have a way with words, its very easy to take things wrong on a medium like this, and I'm not alone in seeing how someone could mistake your post's intent. The use of multiple exclamation points after the first line makes to this reader at least a very definite statement. You might want to re-read your post and just consider how it might sound to someone, who'se not actually facing you having a conversation where they can read your tone and body language.

Hope that helps to make this a polite and friendly forum.

atravelynn May 14th, 2008 04:05 PM

In keeping with the polite and friendly theme, when someone is asking questions or just making a comment, I find kurt, blunt remarks more appropriate than in response to someone's trip report. If someone takes the time to do a report and is not being ridiculous or obnoxious about it, then I don't think they should be chastised. Raising questions or pointing out inaccuracies in a helpful way is fine.

<b> I have a question for Poppins. </b> I've heard about Honeyguide for a long time as a good value. I don't remember the word Mantobeni being tacked on, though. I believe that is the particular camp. It appears you had a guide there. Are all the accommodations at Honeyguide provided a guide? (And is he a honey? I couldn't help myself.) How many people went in your vehicle?

I don't think it was coincidence that your ranger was new and the tracker was superb and probably very experienced. I believe that is often the plan to match up green ranger and veteran tracker.

jackssid2 May 15th, 2008 12:40 AM

Maybe a way to describe easier is it is all part of the GREATER KRUGER. No fences in between etc. so I have no problem with the way Poppins mentions as Kruger.

Snik you do have a way with words and you wonder why I always give you trouble back. You are very opinionated as well, I do not think I really have to point this out. Also as I have pointed out in the past your opinions are flawed and often not based on facts. Have a good day Yorkie.

sniktawk May 16th, 2008 05:41 AM

Jacksidd2
Thanks for bringing up what you perceive to be my inadequacies, yet again! Any chance that you might reveal from your vast wealth of knowledge just what is wrong with this one.

Honeyguide is in the Manyeleti, a public area, where no off roading is allowed.

Gritty May 16th, 2008 06:44 AM

I wish this forum had a popcorn emoticon for whenever these dust-ups happen.

isabel25 May 16th, 2008 12:24 PM

Does anyone else suspect that Sniktawk and Jackssid2 are really the same person? :-)

annhig May 16th, 2008 01:52 PM

for the sake of us ignoramuses, can someone please explain why singita, londolozi and mala mala might be preferable to the places enjoyed by Poppins?

we're thinking about a trip to this area next summer, [ie 2009] combined with watching the lions rugby tour so we would be in the Pretoria/Joburg area for approx 7-10 days.

regards, ann

cary999 May 16th, 2008 04:36 PM

As ann asks -&quot;for the sake of us ignoramuses, can someone please explain why singita, londolozi and mala mala might be preferable to the places enjoyed by Poppins?&quot;

Anyone made a comparison of costs, $$$pppn, for all of the above? I'd try it but just too lazy at the moment.

regards - tom

HariS May 16th, 2008 11:10 PM

Hi Ann,

Those Three are larger private concessions within the Sabi Sands private reserve. Singita IMO is over-priced and for the same gameviewing you can go elsewhere! - I have been to Mala Mala recently. Good gameviewing. Londolozi is meant to be good - do a search for information.

Heard good things about Djuma. Do a search in the search box for information that is quite useful.

Cheers
Hari

sniktawk May 17th, 2008 02:16 AM

Annhig,

My first posting says &quot;at least go somewhere that has a decent sized concession such as Singita, Londolozi or Mala Mala&quot;. Is this a suitable explanation?

Isabel 25
I am not Jakssid 2 when people ask a question I answer it.

Jaksidd 2
At least tools are useful!

cybor May 17th, 2008 04:56 AM

Congratulations on your engagement!
Perhaps you'll have to do another safari for your honeymoon now that David is convinced.

Enjoyed your lovely report,
Thanks for sharing.

atravelynn May 18th, 2008 08:44 AM

<b>Annhig</b>,

It appears sports and safari is up next for you.

I think size matters, as Sniktawk pointed out.

I could ditto Hari's remarkd right down to the part about going to MM recently.

Wonder if you'd consider Honeyguide as an option as well. I'd like to know more about that place, especially the camp that is not so luxurious, if there is one. I think it is a very good value.