Kruger Lodges

Apr 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Kruger Lodges

We are planning a 5-day/4-night safari to Kruger Park. Game viewing is the principal objective, but other amenities would be nice. We principally are looking at the Sabi Sands lodges of Djuma and Inyati, which utilize approx. 130,000 acres directly adjacent to the Mala Mala game preserve, but are significantly less expensive. Any views?
Apr 11th, 2004, 07:30 AM

jrruff,

I was at Djuma Vuyatela last year and was mildly disappointed. The accomodations are excellent and the staff is very good, as well. However, the owners seemed to have a real negative impact on my experience there, first not even introducing themselves (or even making eye contact)to my wife and I during our first lunch together and next after having friends and family staying at the camp, quarantining my wife and I to a "romantic" dinner on our deck, which would not have been bad had it not been late June and the weather near freezing! At the first lunch, you would think that the woman was just an impolite guest, not one of the owners of the lodge.

Also, we did get stuck on one game drive with a family of seven, most of whom I wanted to toss to the lions. There were two teen girls and one preteen girl in the group, and the parents were equally annoying. I think I would have rather have been subjected to fingernails on a chalkboard for three hours and I don't know why Djuma would subject a younger couple to this sort of abuse. For all they knew, we could have been on our honeymoon, but it didn't matter.

The location of Djuma is not in a very good spot, either. Here is a map of the Sabi Sand for your review. It has been suggested by others that you stay at a place with plenty of river frontage, such as Mala Mala, if it is in your budget. However, I do see that Inyati has plenty of river frontage, and I do regret that Inyati was not available for my stay last year, because it was the only lodge in my budget, other than Djuma Vuyatela, that I was interested in booking.

Here is the map (just copy and paste the below):

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

Good luck.
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

To:Roccco
Thank you for your advice, both here and on another thread. I have used both LuxuryLink and SkyAuction. The LuxuryLink packages for Botswana and the Michaelangelo constitute parts of my itinerary. I last observed a safari opportunity on LuxuryLink in early March for Hamiltons Tented Camp. A good value @ a winning bid of $2875 for 2 people for 5 nights. But, for my trip, I require too much specificity to hope for a LuxuryLink product. I only have 4 nights. And, my calculations tell me that a regular purchase of Inyati is almost as good as the winning bid for Hamiltons. So, from my perspective, my only question is; "Is Inyati good for game viewing, or should I pay the extra $1500 for Mala Mala?"

Other threads have raised another question. Based upon the map, I have assumed that the Leopard Hills airstrip (used by Inyati) would be the 1st stop in and last stop out for the Federal Air service from Jo'burg. Less ups and downs. But, the admonitions of severe air turbulence have generated some concern. So, are there any interesting things to see on the 2 hr. road transfer from MQP to either Inyati or Mala Mala? Or, do you recommend biting the bullet and flying in on Federal Air?

Search this Thread