Kruger accommodations in July.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kruger accommodations in July.

We will be driving from Richards Bay area to Kruger and enter the park at Crocodile Bridge gate. Any idea how long that would take? Where would be a good place to spend our first night? Lowere Sabie? Then should we spend a night there to see the area? Was going to go towards Skukuza but it sounds crowded. Thought of spending a night or 2 in Olifants or Letaba. Then exit Phataborwa gate to head to Joberg. Does this sound realistice to see the park in 4 nights. I want comfortably rustic and a private bath and restaurants as we are unable to camp. We will be at a private game reserve before Kruger so it this too much time to spend. From others advise, I think I'd prefer Kruger than an expensive private lodge outside. Any nice lodges in the park that I'm overlooking? My husband has a bad back so we won't want a lot of driving if that's possible. Thanks, barb
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hi, we were there last year - spent 3 nights at Phalabora at a private lodge - nice but lacked the atmosphere. Went on day trips inside Park. We were then heading to Lower Sabi and we were advised to drive around the perimeter of the park as it is only 50 km inside and will take you all day. Outside was good, went through local villages and nice scenary. Went in at Skuzuka and drove down to Lower Sabie, we stayed n the tents (private bath) absolutely fabulous. My recommendation would be don't miss the Rhino walk which leaves at 4.30am and you really get up close - 2 armed guards - highlight of the trip. Lower Sabi is basic but comfortable - brand new restaurant area overlooking the river. We went on a lat afternoon safari and due to the amount of wildlife we were seeing the jeep got back in late and the restaurant was closing. Buffet only but we spoke to the barman and he rustled up a quick plate for us. Sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine listening to the wildlife was sensational. Don't expect 5 star though - it was all about the experience - enjoy
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM

If you do the Rhino walk book before you arrive - they only take 8 people and it is really popular and really cheap - I think it worked out about $40 Australian dollars
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I wanted to see about the tents at Lower Sabi that you mentioned. I was amused You said basic....but their ad says "Romantic semi-luxury two bedded tents"! Thanks for the notes about the rhino walk --- my husband would probably love that.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Olifants is nice, especially if you get one of the river view bungalows 1-14 or thereabouts. We had lunch at Letaba one day and I liked Olifants much better. You can do walks from there as well -- I went on one with several other people and an armed ranger -- being so close to a herd of elephants while on foot was amazing.
By the way, I'm afraid the terms "Kruger" and "not a lot of driving" are pretty much mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
Have also heard nice things about Lower Sabie.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:42 AM

We stayed at Olifants in June 2004 and enjoyed it - we were there for three nights. We'd also spent one night at Berg-en-Dal as we entered the park at the south entrance (I forget the name) having driven up from Ithala (a beautiful park). We stopped for lunch at Skukuza and I'm glad we didn't stay there - huge and too much like a town.

I found driving times between camps and gates on the Kruger website, I imagine it's still there somewhere.

Which private camp are you going to be staying at and also what are your priorities in terms of viewing experience?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 02:51 AM

Romantic - twin bedded - that' interesting - would depend on how many wines had been consumed at the bar. They are very basic but very comfortable - beds are good with nice pillows, makes a difference if you have a good night sleep as it was very hot when we were there in February last year. Listening to the wild life was really nice - we could hear lions roaring and as mentioned in previous post the Rhino walk was sensational. We came face to face with an elephant on our walk back to the truck after walking to see the Rhinos'

We live in Australia so our wild life here is pretty great but must admit two highlights of the last few years - Rhino walk in South Africa and back in 2001 we were in Canada with our 3 year old son and we drove up to Stewart and out to Fish Creek to watch the bears catch the salmon - absolutely awesome!! Enjoy SA
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. WE will be staying at Zula Nyala near Richards Bay for a week and hope to see many large animals there. I'd love the rhino walk and hope to see the big 5. I would like to do some other walks but my husband can't walk far so I need a place which fits both our needs. Barbara
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Karen246 - a quick question on the Safari Tents at Lower Sabie - did you stay at the ones with a bush view or those with a River view - which are better? Also, did the tents have fans and were they sufficient in cooling down the tents?