Krueger area in March, suggestions?

Nov 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Krueger area in March, suggestions?

I'll be in Joburg with a friend for a few days at the end of march and would like to check out the krueger/ sabi sands area for a few days. I'm not looking for anything super-luxurious because we're on a budget. I've heard that Sabi has better game viewing than Krueger during that time of the year (is this true?). I know the self-drive is a budget option but I'm a little weary of doing all of that travelling on the left side of the road. I've also looked into Elephant Plains which only has their luxury accomodations available during that timeframe. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how my friend and I can see the Big 5 on a budget without having to risk crashing while accidentally making a right turn into traffic.
Nov 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Sabi Sand Reserve has much better game viewing than Kruger -every day- of the year. One big reason is that the Reserve is private land and thus camp vehicles can drive off road to the big 5. Not to mention the radio communication between guides sharing game locations. In Kruger you must stay on established roads.

Now, about 20 miles due north of the Sabi Sand Reserve is the Timbavati Reserve. Guaranteed you will see the big five there in a four night stay at Kings Camp. Their rate for 2009 is $350 per person per night (at todays 10 to 1 Rand exchange rate). If that rate is too high you might check out Gomo Gomo in Timbavati. Rates are less than half of Kings Camp. But I've not stayed at Gomo Gomo so no recommendation from me.

FWIW, we like Kruger, been there twice and going back in Sep 2009 for 6 nights (before going to Kings Camp, again). BUT - we have never seen leopard nor rhino in Kruger and lions only briefly about four times. Lots of elephants, buffalo of the big 5. Plus zebra, giraffe, hyena, antelope, birds, always interesting to us.

regards - tom
Nov 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Tom - I'm looking at King's Camp and know it is a favourite of yours.

One concern I have is that I think that the suites have been built so that there are two suites joined at one side, in other words they are semi-detached rather than detached. Is this true? It would feel to me as though the privacy is compromised by this.

Also, do you know how the honeymoon suite differs from the other suites.

Thanks for any advice.
Nov 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM

I've been to GomoGomo and loved it. Very relaxed informal and friendly.
And much less expensive than other places in the area.
I don't know what the game viewing will be like in March, but when we were there past Aug we saw "everything" but rhino. We even saw cheetah which are not common in the area.
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Game viewing is the same, just in S/Sands you have a guide, drive off road and get to extend the day into a night drive. Kruger you are on your own, however the game is as plentiful if not more so than the Sands. You stand a far better chance of seeing wild dog and antelope such as sable.

Nov 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Kings Camp huts, true, most (all?) huts are two attached sharing one wall. We've stayed in three different huts and not had a privacy issue. You can not see the other's door/entrance nor patio. There may be a hut or two that is just a single one, you'd have to call the camp and ask. Likewise about the honeymoon suite, talk with the camp.

As for comparing game viewing between the Sabi Sand and Timbavati reserves, I've stayed four times in Sabi totaling 17 nights and four times in Timabavati totaling 26 nights. Almost always in September. I believe Sabi is one notch better than Timbavati. But not vastly better.

regards -tom

Nov 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the replies. I think that Gomo Gomo is probably best fitted to our budget (read: students). I sent them an inquiry today.
Nov 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM

what about
http://www.elephantplains.co.za/home/

a very nice lodge in sabi sands - very popular amongst fodorites.

div
Nov 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM

We are off to Gomo Gomo (2 nights) and also Satara (2 nights) and Letaba (2nights) at the end of December. Won't be back from our trip until the end of January - will post on our experiences then!
Nov 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM

You can fly from Johannesburg to Kruger and pick up a rental car near the park, so you won't risk driving on the "opposite side" of the road for the 5-hour drive. Driving inside the park, no matter what side of the road, could not be simpler, and it would be silly to avoid a self-drive if your sole reason was anxiety over driving on the leftside of the road. On many roads, you will be the only vehicle, and on others, you can follow the thin traffic.
Nov 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM

I agree with thit_cho. Driving on the left in Kruger is extremely easy. You can fly from Joburg to Kruger if driving on the left is a concern.

The Gomo Gomo rates look good, but I've arranged slightly cheaper Kruger self-drive trips.
Dec 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM

Remember driving on the other side is not as scary when the car is built for that, ie you are in the middle of the road when driving. Try driving from the UK on one side, getting on a ferry and driving on the other side an hour later, in a car where you thed river are now at the edge of the road.

That said, for a first time experience, if you can afford a camp experience, go for it. I believe the self drive experience is greatly enhanced with the practical information you will pick up at a provate camp first.
Dec 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM

True, napamatt--it does help to have some practical information first. I did a wilderness trail before I did my first self-drive, and it was very helpful.

Here's a question I've been wondering--how much of this practical information can one get by watching the wildearth game drives over a period of time? I've learned a few things from it and wonder how representative it is of the private experience.