Krueger

Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Krueger

Will be traveling to Kueger in July, probably by car. I'm confused as to where to stay..inside the park or outside. What are the advantages of one over the other? Any recommendations as how long to stay and where. Should I stay in more than one place to see more of the park. Also how far in advance do I need to make reservations? And through whome do I make the reservations if I stay in the park? Thanks for your help. Barbara
Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM

Barbara:
You do not mention how much time you have on your hands....

I would certainly encourage you to travel within the park. You have your own wheels so are set for an adventure, right?

Start out by enetering the Kruger at the northern gates, probablt Pafuri, spend a night there and work your way southward. Satara, Letaba, Olifants.
Aim to end the trip at Pretoriuskop and then exit using the crocodile bridge gate or kruger gate, Skukuza side.

There are many other camps to choose from, however the ones I have mentioned all have restautrants and decent accommodation.

You need to book now for July, school holidays are around that time and the KNP is a favourite amongst So Africans.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM

Barbara, the South African National Parks website is www.sanparks.org. It has information about all the camps in Kruger -- types of accommodation, restaurants, activities, etc. You can make reservations on-line from that web site. There's a calendar showing what accommodations are available on what dates, so you can plan easily. It doesn't hurt to make reservations 3-6 months in advance.

If you have time, do follow mkhonzo's advice and enter at one end of the park and work your way down or up, staying a couple of nights at two or three different parks. This lets you see several different ecosystems and the wildlife endemic to each. My husband and I did this on our last visit to South Africa, and are planning something similar (but in different camps) for our trip next February.

There have been several recent threads discussing Kruger here; search for "Kruger" for lots of information.

I'm a big fan of staying inside the park, because it's less expensive than the private lodges; you can spend more time seeing game, because you can drive yourself as well as go on drives with the rangers; you are more likely to meet South Africans in the park than in the pricier private lodges. Other people who frequent this forum prefer the private lodges. I'm sure some of them will reply here too.

Search this Thread