Descending into the pyramids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to find opinions of those who have gone down into any of the pyramids in Egypt as to whether it is worth it. I have talked to some people who have been there and done it, and the general opinion I have heard is that it really is not worth it because it is a very steep claustrophobic descent, and there is really nothing to see when you get to the bottom except the immenseness of the whole thing. Anybody disagree? If so, why?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM
kp

We descended into the 2nd pyramid during our OAT trip (we reurned 6/4/05). It wasn't included in the cost of the tour. It cost about $4-$5 US. We were told that the passage was 4' by 3' and that one group is going down while another is going up. It seemed a bit larger than that to me but it was necessary to stoop much of the way (I'm 5'3&quot and it got tight when a group was going the other way! Much of the descent is steep but the ramps do have strips of wood so the footing is fairly good. There is also a flat section about mid-waywhere you can stand.
There really isn't much to see once you reach the end or along the passages--but to be inside a pyramid is exciting.
You are not allowed to bring a camera or bag of any kind with you.
When you visit the Valley of the Kings you will have the chance to go into 3 tombs. (Plus King Tut if you pay an additional fee). This experience is very much like going into a pyramid--but the passages are larger and have nice decorations along the way. No photos allowed but you can carry your purse.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM

As a tall female who was 58 years old at the time, I was leary of going down into the pyramid. I was afraid of claustrophobia, mainly. I saw a young woman coming out of the pyramid and asked, "Is it scarry down there?" She told me it was fine & I went in & had no problem. In addition to the strips of wood on the "floor", there were railings to hold onto while walking bent over. It was exciting!

I have discovered in my old age, that a trip is more fun when you take advantage of opportunities like this. I was the person in my tour of Thailand who volunteered to lie down in front of an elephant and get a Thai elephant massage!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your responses. I am only 5'3" and don't really suffer from claustrophobia. When we were in China, however, and went into the Ming tombs, I almost became claustrophobic from just being crammed in with so many people and unable to move. In addition I couldn't see anything because of so many people. Going into the pyramids sounded like it might be a similar experience. My husband is 6'3", has had back surgery in the past, and was wondering if he was going to have to remain stooped over for a long time when going into the pyramids. Your answers have given me a better picture of what to expect and more information to help us make up our minds. Sounds like it may be a little uncomfortable for him, although I might be able to handle it better.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:52 PM

My sister, who is 5'4' & 59 yoa, went inside one of them last November & loved the feeling of being inside a pyramid.

I didn't go inside on my January trip due to health problems and have regretted it.

Remember, Egypt is a great adventure!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I think it depends on which pyramid. The one we went into in 2001 was not a descent but a climb. The most difficult part was getting up to the entrance, which was on some very uneven ledges and rocks, assisted by pyramid employees.

I am somewhat claustrophobic, but we all bought entry tickets. When you entered there was a flat pathway for a few hundred feet. Then in order to get to the burial chamber you stooped up some stairs. The main problem was that the stairs were used for going up and down and were actually only wide enough for about 1 1/2 people - so while the climb was short, the wait was longer in an uncomfortable position.

I bailed out of the climb after the first traffic jam and returned to original path. For me, it was still worth it to be inside a pyramid since the cost was not all that much.

Husband and kids reported there really was not much to see in burial chamber but it was cool to have been there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
kp

ttt for Percy
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Oh bless your heart kp.

I really appreciated that .

Thank You

Percy