Kleins Camp

Aug 29th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Laura

Kleins Camp

Has anyone stayed at Kleins Camp in the Serengeti...how was it...how was the wildlife viewing...we are considering staying there in late June or early July 2002.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:56 AM
Leila Kight

I stayed at Kleins Camp late July, 2000 and were hoping to catch the last of the migration. Unfortunately, the drought had sent the lot of them back to the the Masai Mara.

I saw some great lion's on a walk I took with the camp manager (he's no longer there)but it was not a great place for viewing wildlife. The camp is high above the plains, so at best you see postage stamp size elephants from your accommodation.

At camp, service was well intentioned and endearing (they should be congratulated for training a staff that is almost exclusively Masai)but a bit rough around the edges. This was the case with several CCA camps we stayed in.

My recommendation is that you consider spending your time at Grumeti River Camp. The camp is right on the river. Although the river was mostly dried up (and still is)it is an amazing place to see wildlife. Every living thing comes to the muddy pool that remains, which is right in front of the dining area.

Managers Jennifer and Antony are great. The food is terrific--much better than other camps in Tanzania--and the whole experience there was great.

Have a great trip

Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:18 PM
darlene

I hesitate to give my opinion, since I have never been there, but on our way from Kirawira (Western Serengeti) to Nairobi (by plane) we stopped at the Klein's Camp airstrip and a few people got on. I talked to a woman that had just stayed there. This was early March, so she said that the animal numbers were not outstanding (Best time is probably when the gnus come through around November), but because it is outside the park, they were able to go out on a night drive, and she enjoyed it. You can only do this at lodges outside the parks, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to try it. She said it was very nice, maximum 16 guests. You can download a jpeg of the camp at: www.tanzaniaodyssey.com, this is a good place to check out many accommodations.

Sep 19th, 2001, 11:02 AM
melissa

We stayed at Klein's last October (2000) after 3 nights at the Crater Lodge. We felt more comfortable at Klein's than at Crater - while Crater was decadent and over the top, it was fun too. Klein's was more our speed: comfortable, low key, small, good hearty food, remote. We had some superb game viewing while there with the highlight being the night drives. Since Klein's is on private land, they can drive out and about at night - something that is not allowed in the Parks. Evening/Nightime is when the cats wake up - very exciting to watch 5 males yawn and stretch and get "frisky" (so much so, that our guide didn't want to get so close in the dense wooded areas). The lions roars echos through the valley that night. You are on the border of the Park, and the guides will take you through it during the daytime. We saw many varieties of birds, giraffe, crocs, cheetah, leopard, lion, varieties of antelope, raptors, elephant. Our guides were just awesome - very knowledgable and personable. Ask for Moody if you go. He is wonderful. So, yes, we loved Klein's. The only reason we wouldn't go back is that there are so many other places to see (high on my list is Kirawira and Grumeti). Good luck with your research.

Search this Thread