Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Kiss and make up with the USA and good things start happening...

Kiss and make up with the USA and good things start happening...

Aug 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Kiss and make up with the USA and good things start happening...

This is the second major article on Libya that I have seen in the last couple weeks alone:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/DESTI....ap/index.html

The other was in article in either the August edition of Conde Nast Traveler or Travel & Leisure.

Looks like a fascintating place, although not one that I am inclined to visit anytime soon.
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Its apparently very, very difficult for Americans to visit. You need to get an Arabic translation of your passport, and then have that certified by the US (I don't know which agency) and it makes for a very lengthy process.

I'd like to visit, but I'll wait until the visa situation eases so I can travel independently -- I refuse to go on a packaged tour.
Aug 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Intrav-Clipper Cruises is offering two April cruises which include Portugal, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Malta. I am really tempted because I love their small ships (122 passengers). Libya still remains on the government warning list though. I am sure I would freak out my family if I did the trip. So, I am still pondering.
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Since I was actually born in Tripoli, Libya, I would love the opportunity to travel over there just to see my birthplace.

I left as a very young child so I am very interested in seeing what the country is like.

Hmmmm....maybe I could start there and work my way down to all our favorite safari countries. Sounds like a plan to me!

Search this Thread