Kisoro gorillas?

Mar 31st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Kisoro gorillas?

My wife and I wanted to see the gorillas at Rwanda PNV, but the permits are sold out for the days that we have available. Unfortunately, we cannot reschedule the other portions of our Africa trip. One tour operator presented us with the option of starting the tour in Kigali Rwanda but then crossing over the border into Uganda, and then seeing the Nkuringo gorilla Group that starts off from Kisoro. Has anyone done this lately? Is that gorilla group worth seeing? I realize that it won't be as good as seeing the gorillas in PNV, but is it a good Plan B? Is Kisoro safe, or are there still some problems because it is close to the DRC border?

The other alternative is to do away with Rwanda / Kigali totally and spend the time entirely in Uganda: arrive in Entebbe and then see the gorillas at Bwindi Park. I read that there is a lot of driving between Entebbe and Bwindi, but is the gorilla trek in Bwindi Park better than the Nkuringo Group that starts off from Kisoro?

Thanks in advance!

Darren

Mar 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM

Here's a trip report that includes a Nkuringo group trek - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34760146

It sounded plenty safe. I've done neither so can't help with which is better. Are you able to get Bwindi permits at this point? I was under the impression that permits for Bwindi are even harder to get than PNV.
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM

Darren,

Worth seeing? yes!!! I was in Kisoro in late January to see the Nkuringo group(Patty posted the link to my trip report above), and it was totally safe. (Also, the Nkuringo group is actually in Bwindi.) I really can't imagine you'd be disappointed seeing any of the groups, so I'd just take the permits for whatever location is available.
And yes it is a very, very long drive from kampala / entebbe to Bwindi (took us almost 12 hours to get to Kisoro).
Like you, I originally wanted to see the gorillas in Rwanda too since they are supposed to be easier to see/photograph, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Linda
Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information. It was extremely helpful!

Search this Thread