Kirawira in February?

Feb 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Kirawira in February?

Hello again,

We are still in early planning stages for our safari next February. Have read so many lovely things about Kirawira in the Serengeti and would love to stay there! Would there be any justification for a three day stay there after a stay at the Serengeti Serena? Could a stay at Kirawira replace a few nights in the Mara (Governor's), as far as wildlife goes? Or should the Mara be on everybody's list (wildlife and scenery) no matter when the travel is done? Thanks so much...
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hi, kirawira is definately not the place to be in february. I would not recommend the mara also at that time. The best place would be to be located in the southern and central regions of serengeti for best game viewing, Sonali.
Feb 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
sandi

Kirawira is lovely, but no for February. As mentioned, in February you should concentrate on the Southeast and Central Serengeti.

If you'd consider Kirawira for February '07, you may want to check the recent thread "CCA Semi-lux camp in the Serengeti" . Sorry folks, I'm just daft when it comes to posting the actual link. Scroll down and you'll find - this may just be what fits the bill for you then, instead of the Serengeti Serena.

Neither is the Mara at optimum in February, but if time allows, I always find the Mara interesting, regardless time of year.

Feb 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Hello,

This should take you to the CCA thread (cut and past if necessary):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34749510

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
santharamhari

Carolines,

The Governors camp website, provides monthly game reports....chk out Feb from previous years to see if it appeals to you.....

My view is, yes the migration wont be around, but the resident cats and game will always be there.......you just wont find the large masses of animals like in July/august/sept

Feb 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you everyone! The CC Africa mobile camp looks wonderful! Will have our agent investigate!
I'm thinking Kirawira might still be a nice place to visit in February simply because there will be less tourists(???) But that would be an add-on if we can afford to do it!

Another question: Ruaha and Selous in February - will it be too rainy then? Too many nasty insects? Our agent has suggested three day stays in each of Ruaha River Lodge and Sand River in the Selous. We really crave something off the beaten track, but tenting with some luxury and excellent guides. And the water safaris sound like a nice change, too. Is February a good time?

Also, has anyone been on the train south from Dar? Thanks in advance again!!

Search this Thread